School/Unit: Development and Alumni Relations
Department: Advancement Services
Purpose of Position:
The Director of Gifts and Records Management reports to the AVP, Advancement Services and serves as a member of the department’s leadership team, sharing responsibility for overall strategy, budgeting, and execution. The Director is responsible for a staff of 14 employees, including three direct reports, overseeing gift accounting, compliance, and data integrity. The Director is charged with developing and implementing a strategic vision for Gifts and Records Management, including the creation/refinement of policies and procedures to meet IRS regulations and industry best practices. The Director works closely with VCU’s institutionally-related foundations and alumni associations to ensure the timely and accurate depositing, accounting, and receipting of gift, membership, and event transactions. He/she will be an integral player on the Development and Alumni Relations leadership team, working closely to improve processes and promote efficiencies.
- Ensure all policies and procedures within Advancement Services adhere to IRS, CASE, and FASB rules and guidelines to promote the integrity and charitable tax-exempt status of Virginia Commonwealth University and its affiliated foundations.
- Enforce, and further enhance, existing gift acceptance policies and procedures
- Lead and manage three functional areas of Gift Accounting, Compliance, and Data Integrity.
- Oversee the accurate and efficient depositing, processing, and receipting of all gift, membership, and event transactions at the university.
- Ensure compliance with the university, affiliated foundations, and IRS regulations and policies, including coordinating services for routine audits.
- Oversee the effective and timely receipting of all gifts, as required by the IRS or requested within VCU’s stewardship policies.
- Work in collaboration with the Advancement Services leadership team to develop and execute the strategic plan for the department.
- Serve as an integral member of the RADAR implementation team, assisting with the further integration and development of VCU’s new CRM database
- Work with university colleagues, inside and outside the division, to develop processes for improved data exchanges to increase data integrity and improve the efficiency of our fundraising programs.
- Staff the RADAR Data Integrity Committee to ensure biographical projects are prioritized and completed on time with a high level of quality.
Must have an advanced degree or training and work experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree. MBA, CPA or analytical degree preferred or the equivalent in training and work experience.
Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU.
- 5+ years experience working in an advancement services environment or its equivalent.
- Advanced understanding of accounting methods, procedures, policies, and bookkeeping.
- Excellent knowledge of CASE guidelines for the recording of charitable contributions, as well as IRS and FASB regulations guiding gift accounting.
- Strong computer skills, particularly in excel and financial software.
- Experience with constituent databases as they relate to the entry and maintenance of biographical information. Experience with Blackbaud CRM or Raiser’s Edge strongly preferred.
- Experience in training and managing staff.
- Strong organizational and strategic planning skills.
- Advanced problem solving skills and ability to work with all levels of staff.
- Ability to work as a team player.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: www.vcujobs.comVirginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran's status, political affiliation or disability.