Software Developer - 72930
Software Developer, Classification J, 100% FTE, Exempt, 1 Year fixed
School of Engineering, Department of Bioengineering
The Department of Bioengineering has an exciting opportunity for a software developer to work at the intersection of STEM education, hands-on learning, Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), cloud experimentation, museum exhibits, and games. This opening will report to Prof. Ingmar Riedel-Kruse (Bioengineering) and will have strong collaboration with Prof. Paulo Blikstein (Education and Computer Science). 1 year fixed with the strong possibility to extend assignment.
We are seeking a highly motivated software developer to help implementing an integrated software environment that enables schoolchildren and students to carry out real biology experiments over the web, use sensors and cameras to collect the data, and create computer models to simulate biological phenomena. Previously, we have developed the first technology that enables massive online courses with real lab components, eventually allowing hundreds of real biology experiments to be run in a central location at very low cost. This approach could not only transform the world of MOOCs, but also improve K-12 science education, since students have very little access to science labs in public schools.
Our existing cloud lab requires further development to implement more features. The project is funded by a major NSF Cyberlearning grant, furthermore we collaborate with VPTL (Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning) and openedX. This platform will also enable teachers and learning researchers to carry out user studies on the students data using techniques from learning analytics and data mining. Wide dissemination of the software towards the end of the project is intended, which provides for additional exciting opportunities for the candidate.
With your application please include (if possible) samples from previous projects that demonstrate your skills regarding this posting.
Bioengineering website: https://bioengineering.stanford.edu/
- Implement features into existing software; develop new software; test software.
- Specifications of these features will be primarily determined by the PIs, but creative input on a conceptual and technical level is appreciated.
- Interaction with an interdisciplinary team.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and five years of job related experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expertise in designing, developing, testing, and deploying applications.
- Proficiency with application design and data modeling.
- Ability to define and solve logical problems for highly technical applications.
- Strong communication skills with both technical and non-technical clients.
- Ability to lead activities on structured team development projects.
- Ability to select, adapt, and effectively use a variety of programming methods.
- Knowledge of application domain.
- Passion for (science) education
- Current knowledge of latest software engineering, documentation, and design standards
- Very strong / multi-year experience in web programming with NodeJS based Web-Framework, HTML5 and Python is a plus.
- Previous experience with biology, mechatronics, education, games, or graphics desired.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team
- We are unable to provide Sponsorship for this position.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally stand/walk, writing by hand.
- Rarely use a telephone, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May work extended hours, evening and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
About Stanford University
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of Californias Silicon Valley, is one of the worlds leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Supporting that mission is a staff of more than 10,000 that is rooted in a culture of excellence and values innovation, collaboration, and life-long learning. To foster the talents and aspirations of our staff, Stanford offers career development programs, competitive pay that reflects market trends and benefits that increase financial stability to promote healthy and fulfilling lives. An award-winning employer, Stanford offers an exceptional setting for professionals looking to advance their careers.
Applicants are required to upload a cover letter and rsum to be considered for this opening.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to recruiting and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Thank you for your interest!
Job: Information Technology Services
Location: School of Engineering
Job Code: 4822