The frontend developer designs and develops modern, usable interfaces for Northwestern University Libraries’ Hydra-based digital repositories with input from end-users. A critical member of the software development and administration team in Repository and Digital Curation, this position will spearhead our usability initiatives translating requirements and concepts into mockups, developing frontend style guides to enable rapid development, conducting ad-hoc usability studies, and writing standards-compliant code. In addition, the frontend developer will work to ensure all of our products are compliant with university branding. The frontend developer will continually assess and improve user interfaces for existing applications.
Please Note: As a member of the Library Repository and Digital Curation team, this person may be called during defined support times to address emergency situations or testing on library systems outside normal University business hours, not more than 5% of work.
- Develops short and long-term usability goals
- Partners with users in designing features
- Works with management team to prioritize accessibility features
- Ensures repositories reinforce University’s brand
- Researches and recommends frontend frameworks
- Develops user-interface standards documents
- Conducts regular usability tests
- Educates staff on design and usability best-practices
- Creates and maintains code documentation.
- Develops mockups, requirements and other artifacts
- Tests and debugs front-end issues
- Refactors frontend code for existing applications as necessary
- Software infrastructure, via patches, bundles, releases and maintenance packs.
- Codes software applications adhering to designs supporting internal business requirements or external user
- Prioritizes tasks within project
- Meets with stakeholders to determine requirements
- Adheres to iterative development based on user experience best practices
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a major such as computer science, design, information technology, or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 2 years relevant experience required.
- 2 years using modern frontend development tools (e.g. css preprocessors, web standards, html5, and front-end frameworks.)
- Please see information highlighted below:
- Analytical: critical thinking, decision making, use-case analysis.
- Project: agile environment, Code documentation, collaboration and teamwork, organizational skills, Scrum project framework.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Ability to translate requirements to meaningful wireframes, mockups, and sketches
- Ability to work with a variety of stakeholders
- Excellent verbal, visual, and written communication skills
- Understanding of design principles and best practices
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to changing priorities
- Masters or certificate in Design, Computer Human Interaction
- Experience conducting usability tests
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Contributor to open source projects
- Worked in complex team environments (stakeholders, backend, frontend members)
- Experience with Scrum or other agile methodology
- Knowledge of academic libraries
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Date Posted: 10/17/2016