Wellness/Health Promotion Coordinator
San Jose State University
Job Title: Wellness/Health Promotion Coordinator
Job ID: 23840
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 8147, Range 1
Department: Student Health Center
About the Position:
The Student Health Center (SHC) provides a variety of medical services, which are similar to the outpatient care provided in a large group practice. These services include primary and urgent/acute care; evaluation, treatment and guidance for individual health problems; family planning services; nutrition; physical therapy; psychiatry; sports medicine; public health prevention programs and health education. In addition, the SHC provides limited initial care for work injuries of employees, and if necessary, assists in referring such persons for ongoing care. The Student Health Center may also provide first aid to campus visitors. Limited evening or weekend work may be expected.
The Wellness and Health Promotion department supports the mission of the Student Health Center by providing wellness and preventive health counseling, programs, and other services, which take place both within and outside of the SHC. Reporting to the Associate Director for Campus Wellness and working in collaboration with other SHC/Campus Staff and Faculty, the Wellness and Health Promotion Coordinator (WHPC) is responsible for developing strong, evidence-based, data-driven programs and services based on relevant and measurable learning outcomes to improve individual and community health behaviors and status. The WHPC is responsible for individual, group, and population-based health education/counseling for SJSU students and is expected to integrate multicultural and social justice concepts and principles into health promotion services. The WHPC co-coordinates the peer educator program which includes paid and volunteer students who provide 1:1 peer advising, workshops, and outreach events for the SJSU student body.
The anticipated primary specialty area of responsibility is Violence Prevention education, however, other assingments could include: Sexual Wellness, Alcohol and Other Drugs, Stress Management/Healthy LIfestyles, Men's Health, Multicultural Health Issues, and/or Body Image.
Working collaboratively to support student success is the bottom line purpose of this and all SHC positions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Collaborate to plan, implement, and evaluate theory and evidence based health promotion strategies, polices, programs, and services.
- Maintain and develop current resources, including online resources and media, useful for serving students (staff and faculty) and accomplishing program goals.
- Collaborate to hire, supervise, and evaluate paid/volunteer Peer Educators.
- Collaborate to teach peer health education course.
- Support student success through the oversight and delivery of presentations, programs, events, and trainings that address a variety of health and wellness topics.
- Oversee and provide workshops and "tabling" efforts aimed at at-risk students including: first year students, historically underserved, LGBT, etc.
- Provide advising, counseling, and education on a variety of subject areas to assist students in learning about and appreciating the importance of health.
- Apply evidence-based strategies aimed at reducing risky health behavior while coaching students on development/awareness of the effects of lifestyle choices on health status.
- Support students in developing self-advocacy skills and to accept responsibility for their own health.
- Conduct ongoing needs assessments and evaluations to determine effectiveness.
To apply, visit https://cmshr.cms.sjsu.edu/psp/HSJPRDF/EMPLOYEE/HSJPRD/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency