| || |
| || |
A completed application is required in order to be considered for this position.
| || |
| || |
San Diego State University is the oldest and largest higher education institution in the San Diego region. Since its founding in 1897, SDSU has grown to offer bachelor's degrees in 91 areas, master's degrees in 78 areas and doctorates in 22 areas. SDSU's approximately 35,000 students participate in an academic curriculum distinguished by direct contact with faculty and an increasing international emphasis that prepares them for a global future.
SDSU is a large, diverse, urban university and Hispanic-Serving Institution with a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusive excellence. Our campus community is diverse in many ways, including in terms of race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, and covered veteran status. We strive to build and sustain a welcoming environment for all.
SDSU is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups.
| || |
| || |
Full-time, permanent (probationary) position.
Under general direction from the Department Chair, this position has primary responsibility for providing administrative support to four faculty members who coordinate the Biology, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology joint doctoral programs, and the master’s program. This position is also responsible for administrative support of the Field Stations Program. The incumbent is the primary contract for the Field Stations Program and 15% of the incumbent’s effort includes program support and budget maintenance for the FSP.
| || |
| || |
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $3,115 - $3,300 per month (CSU Classification Salary Range: $3,115 - $4,913 per month). The competitive salary is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
| || |
| || |
Joint Doctoral Program (JDP) Support:
Biology JDP – 5%
- TA/GA and fellowship assignments (works with Associate Chair & Chair to ensure efficient scheduling of 30-40 TA slots each semester)
Ecology JDP – 40 %
- Primary Administrative Support Coordinator for Ecology JDP. For Ecology JDP, serves as primary person of contact between Department and the SDSU Graduate Division; and Department and the Graduate Division at UC Davis. Must become knowledgeable of JDP rules and regulations at SDSU and UCD. Occasionally (1-2 times per year), there may be a need to travel to Davis to participate in informational meetings and orientations, and/or participate in local after hour events (e.g., orientations)
- Ecology JDP student recruitment, including advertising, processing ~50 applications per year, interfacing with the executive committee to facilitate application review and development of prospective student databases, as well as maintenance of current student databases
- Serves as primary person of contact between Department and the SDSU Graduate Division; and Department and the Graduate Divisions at UCSD, UCD and UCR.
- TA/GA and fellowship assignments (works with Associate Chair & Chair to ensure efficient scheduling of 15-30 TA slots each semester)
Evolutionary Biology JDP – 5%
- TA/GA and fellowship assignments (works with Associate Chair & Chair to ensure efficient scheduling of 10-15 TA slots each semester)
Masters Programs Support:
Masters Programs in Biology & Microbiology (Bio MS) – 20%
- Biology Department MS student recruitment, including advertising, processing 100-150 applications per year, interfacing with the executive committee to facilitate application review and development of prospective student databases, as well as maintenance of current student databases
- TA/GA and fellowship assignments (works with Associate Chair & Chair to ensure efficient scheduling of 50-60 TA slots each semester)
Also oversees the following for all of Department’s graduate programs: 15%
- Maintenance and reporting of the graduate student salary and support budgets (maintains budget spreadsheets separate from Department faculty budget); prepares grad student ATFs and STCs for grad programs; serves as liaison between Department Chair, Associate Chair, faculty graduate coordinators, and department coordinator
- Maintains tracking spreadsheet of grad student progress in each program (track status of coursework, proposals, qualifying exams, thesis & dissertation projects of each student)
- In cooperation with the Department Chair, Associate Chair, department coordinator and the faculty graduate coordinators, schedules courses and seminars
- Assists the faculty graduate coordinators in tracking the students who complete the programs (maintain contact database and sends out yearly communications with previous students in order to maintain up-to-date tracking information)
- Student Travel Coordinator. Associated with maintaining the grad student budgets and activities within each of the graduate programs
- Faculty Search Recruitment (responsibilities shared with current confidential II position and one of our ASA II positions). Not a regular responsibility of this position, but in some academic years when multiple faculty job searches are being conducted within department, this individual may need to provide administrative assistance to faculty job searches.
Field Stations Program (FSP) Budget Support:
- Facilitate maintenance of budgeting and accounting systems for the management of General Fund, Reimbursed, Trust, and Research Foundation accounts associated with FSP. Using Oracle, PI Profile, and Excel, the incumbent maintains and processes records of all fiscal transactions for the program utilizing computer spreadsheets; provides information and keeps historical records related to the budget; answers inquires related to fiscal records; issues purchase requisitions; check statements/invoices for accounting; prepares complex budget reports to inform and advise the Associate Dean and the Field Stations Board of account balances and budget.
- Assist with processing of purchase requisitions and reimbursements for services and supplies according to university and funding guidelines, and provides general clerical support functions for the FSP.