| Cornell Dining is comprised of more than 30 on-campus eateries, including multiple "All You Care to Eat" dining rooms, cafés, coffee houses, food courts, and retail convenience stores. From holiday-themed meals to chef surprises and dining room special nights, the Cornell Dining team of more than 400 chefs and skilled staff members work hard every day towards offering a variety of fresh and healthy food options from all over the world. Cornell Dining's overarching mission is a commitment to serving high-quality foods that are healthy and creatively prepared with genuine care for a diverse community|
This job posting is for multiple position across Cornell Dining. Location and schedule assignments will be based on business needs.
Under general supervision, present foods for service through own efforts and/or through the coordination of assigned food service worker and/or student staff for cash, meal plan, house dining or special events. May work autonomously. Maintain food standards and health codes at all times. FSW Leads have more responsibility than FSW SO02s and are expected to uphold a good example for other employees as well as present good leadership skills. FSW Leads are expected to carry out food preparation for about 30% of their time, the rest of their time should be distributed between a lead role and general maintenance of the dining unit which includes but is not limited to coordinating work assignments, monitoring food productions and operating the register.
In this role:
- Conduct or assist in supervising the preparation and/or presentation and service of various foods including salads, desserts, appetizers, soups, stews, convenience food items, entrees, sandwiches, dressings and garnishes. Coordinate customer orders for preparation, service and/or delivery in a timely fashion. Operate and maintain the following equipment: choppers, food washing equipment, slicers, mixers, ovens, steam jacket kettles, pressure steamers, and various hand tools.
- Operate computerized cash register accurately. Process sales transactions using appropriate procedures for cash, checks, credit cards and meal plan cards.
- Follow established security procedures for all cash transactions (including initial bank), charge and credit drafts and receipts.
- Provide visual security to prevent theft. Report all theft to the manager on duty immediately. Tabulate daily cash and credit card transactions, and prepare for deposit.
- Coordinate work assignments of food service worker and/or student staff to ensure that food production and/or presentation deadlines. Provide efficient and creative use of all foods including leftovers.
- Coordinate and /or set up all service areas including, but not limited to, beverage, salad bar/counter, deli, pizza, entry/exit ways, takeout, bakery, short order, specialty bars and/or dessert areas with equipment and supplies.
- Maintain portion control and record amounts of food prepared. Assist management in determining the amounts of product on hand and to be ordered.
- Ensure that sanitary and HACCP procedures are maintained in assigned areas. Maintain all NY State Health codes including, but not limited to, temperatures, safe food handling procedures and proper sanitary restraints and uniforms.
- Inform immediate supervisor of equipment's repair and maintenance needs.
- Maintain the proper storage of food items in the designated storage areas.
- May assist and/or give and assign breaks in all other areas as assigned.
- May perform other related duties as assigned.
Positions are full time 35-39 hr. positions.
Must be creative and flexible at all times. Schedules, shifts, and locations are subject to change. Position may require evening, weekend, and holiday hours. May perform other related duties as assigned. Position may be subject to seasonal lay-offs including summer, fall, winter, and spring breaks.
High School Diploma, At least one (1) year experience as Food Service Worker SO02 or two (2) years related experience. Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of food preparation and presentation. Friendly disposition with effective customer relations skills with ability to work with a varied clientele is IMPERATIVE. Ability to train and coordinate the work of others. Must be able to read, write and communicate effectively.
Ability to provide functional supervision and/or training of food service workers (S001, SO02, SO03) and student employees as assigned. May schedule student shifts/staff.
Continuous exposure to temperature changes (must be able to tolerate the extreme ranges), heat, steam, smoke, slippery floors, food waste and kitchen equipment such as slicers, fryers, steamers, ovens. Prolonged attentiveness in the use of equipment and the tasks at hand. Long periods of standing.
Ability to demonstrate proficient knife skills and a cooking demonstration will be a part of the interview process.
Higher education food service or production kitchen experience preferred. Knowledge of proper sanitation and HACCP procedures helpful. ServSafe Certified preferred.
No relocation assistance is provided for this position. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
When applying, please remember to attach your application materials (Resume/Cover Letter) in either Microsoft Word or PDF format. For a more detailed description and instructions on how to apply online please visit: https://hr.cornell.edu/jobs/how-we-hire
University Job Title:Food Service Worker S04
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Contact Name:Dana Burton
Number of Openings:10
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
Background check may be required.2016-09-28-07:00