Head of Shared Cataloging and Special Formats Metadata
Brown University Library invites applications for the position of Head of Shared Cataloging and Special Formats Metadata. We are seeking an innovative, energetic, and team-oriented manager who is accustomed to working in a production-focused environment. The successful candidate will have the knowledge and initiative to recognize and take full advantage of transformational opportunities as standards and tools for resource description of physical and digital collections continue to evolve. The successful candidate will have knowledge of BIBFRAME development and other library applications of linked open data.
Reporting to the Head of Cataloging and Metadata Services, the Head of Shared Cataloging and Special Formats Metadata is a creative, detail-oriented and collaborative manager, capable of leading the work of his/her unit in a changing environment. The position manages 7 staff engaged in adaptive cataloging, metadata creation, and archival arrangement and description, including creation of EAD finding aids. This position also performs both original and complex adaptive cataloging, primarily for non-print formats (music strongly preferred). The incumbent serves as primary contact for the Libraryâ??s identity management vendor, participates in the assessment and continuous improvement of operations and services, and contributes and updates NACO authority records.
- Required Education: MLS degree from ALA-accredited program or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years of successful experience in staff supervision and training in a library environment.
- 5 years of experience and demonstrated proficiency with current cataloging rules and carrier standards (RDA, LC-PCC PSs, LCSH, MARC21) and a variety of metadata schema (MODS, EAD, etc.).
- Thorough understanding of the relationship between bibliographic and authority records in an automated environment, including the discovery system displays generated from MARC and non-MARC metadata..
- Strong computer skills, including experience with personal computer hardware and software, XML, XSLT, XQuery, oXygen, and local and network-based input, editing, and mapping tools.
- Working knowledge of one or more Western European languages.
- Interest in serving the needs of the Brown community of users and in maximizing access to the library resources.
- Music cataloging experience
- Experience with the NACO Music Funnel
- Hands on training with BIBFRAME or other linked open data use cases
- Experience creating XML and MODS
- Ability to create and implement metadata crosswalks
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background check and education verification satisfied to Brown.
Recruiting Start Date:2016-09-21-07:00
Job Posting Title:Head of Shared Cataloging and Special Formats Metadata
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sexual orientation and/or gender identity, sex, sex orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.