Brown University Library is seeking to hire a visionary and service-oriented Associate University Librarian for Access Services and Collection Management. Reporting to the University Librarian, the AUL for Access Services and Collection Management will provide effective leadership and direction for three library departments comprised of approximately 63 exempt and non-exempt bargaining unit staff: Technical Services (acquisitions and cataloging), Circulation and Resource Sharing (circulation, reserves, interlibrary loan, and shelving), and Preservation Services (preservation/conservation, bindery, and off-site storage). The position also coordinates collection development and management in cooperation with other senior library staff and oversees the collections budget.
Emphasis will be placed on guiding and promoting individual, professional and organizational developments, creative approaches to problem-solving, as well as enriching internal and external partnerships and collaboration that lead to effective operations and transformative strategies for library services. As a member of the Libraryâ??s senior administrative team, the AUL for Access Services and Collection Management will play a lead role in library-wide planning and evaluation and in setting the Libraryâ??s strategic directions.
Brown University Library, founded along with the University in 1764, is one of the nationâ??s oldest and most distinguished research libraries. The library system contains nearly 6 million volumes, in addition to extensive collections of maps, broadsides, sheet music, archival materials, manuscripts and a wide array of digital objects. The system consists of seven library facilities: the John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Brown's primary resource center that also houses the humanities and social sciences collections; the Sciences Library, housing the University's collections of science and medical information resources; the John Hay Library, housing special collections, including rare books, manuscripts, and the University Archives; the Orwig Music Library; the Champlin Memorial (Medical) Library; the Annmary Brown Memorial; and the Library Collections Annex.
- ALA-accredited masterâ??s degree in library or information science, with an advanced degree (Ph.D. or subject master's), or equivalent combination of education and experience in an academic setting.
- Minimum of five years management/supervisory experience in progressively more responsible positions.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of research libraries, their roles in higher education and the ways in which current and emerging information technologies are changing traditional library services, collections, and spaces.
- In-depth knowledge of library automation and advanced operational expertise in one or more of the specified areas.
- Demonstrated success in human resource management, including the ability to lead and engage staff through the process of organizational improvement and change.
- Proven record of project management and cross-organizational coordination of tasks and goals is needed.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; well-developed assessment and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability and ability to prioritize multiple projects and demands.
- Experience in budget preparation and financial management and in developing and evaluating library services.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background check and education verification satisfied to Brown
Recruiting Start Date:2016-09-21-07:00
Job Posting Title:Associate University Librarian for Access Services and Collection Management
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sexual orientation and/or gender identity, sex, sex orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.