Weinberg IT is the College’s primary provider of IT services and support, and serves as consultant, facilitator, and advocate for technology service delivery and access to technology resources within the Northwestern community. We strive to enable outcomes that offer high impact to Weinberg teaching and research.
This position develops, codes, tests, and debugs new software or enhancements to existing software. Typically works with senior staff, but may coordinate smaller or less complex projects independently. Designs and implements basic technical solutions ensuring that business needs and requirements are met. Performs basic system integration tasks. Provides estimation for assigned tasks.
- Participates in the development of new goals and strategies based on interactions with primary user.
- Develops plans for software deployment on heterogeneous systems.
- Collaborates with user to develop work flow and best practices.
- Partners with user in designing features for technology.
- Responds to customer inquiries via phone, online, in-person, etc.
- Creates and maintains code documentation.
- Grants system access to new user.
- Evaluates feature/upgrade/change requests and recommends action.
- Participates in interview process for new hires.
- Identifies database and software performance issues, and makes adjustments.
- Develops and maintains software infrastructure, via patches, bundles, releases and maintenance packs.
- Codes software applications adhering to designs supporting internal business requirements or external user.
- Completes tier 3 troubleshooting.
- Designs databases and data structures.
- Prioritizes tasks within project.
- Meets with business analyst/stakeholder to determine requirements.
- Opens tickets with vendors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or 2 years equivalent experience.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and 2 years’ experience.
- Able to drive a software project to a reliable release state.
- Writes robust and maintainable code.
- Experience with PHP or other comparable programming languages.
- Experience HTML markup and CSS styling, and how design compositions translate to code.
- Experience writing web based applications using MVC frameworks.
- Experience with defining and documenting functional, technical and process requirements for software applications and tools.
- Collaboration – Facilitates open and effective communication, cooperation and teamwork within and outside of one’s own team; respects the needs and contributions of others.
- Communication – Communicates effectively one-to-one, in small groups and in public speaking contexts; writes precise, well-organized emails, letters and proposals while using appropriate vocabulary and grammar.
- Innovation/Creativity – Explores alternatives to existing products and services; identifies opportunities to improve procedures and practices; shows imagination.
- Organization – Plans, organizes and schedules in an efficient, productive manner; anticipates contingencies and pays attention to detail; targets projects or initiatives that require special attention and focuses on key tasks when faced with limited time and/or resources
- Infrastructure (extends across applications): Amazon Web Services (AWS), Apache, information security, Service Orienteted Architecture (SOA), SQL/MySQL/Postgres
- Analytical: critical thinking, database design/ data structure, debugging, judgment, problem solving, troubleshooting
- Project: agile environment, Code documentation, collaboration and teamwork, iterative & incremental development, organizational skills
- Experience with Laravel and CakePHP web application frameworks.
- Experience with UI / UX design.
- Experience with writing and consuming RESTful APIs.
- Experience with modern source control practices, tools, and systems such as Git, Git-flow and Github.
- Experience with software testing using PHPunit, Selenium, or other comparable tools.
- Experience with relational databases and SQL based databases such as MySQL and PostgreSQL.
- Experience with Agile, Scrum, or Kanban.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.