Research Specialist, Clinical - (1600011C)
The Department of Shock Trauma, Trauma Research Patient Safety is seeking a Research Specialist, Clinical. The Clinical Research Specialist functions as a single specialist in a clinical setting who is responsible for providing the highest technical expertise to research programs and projects overseeing clinical research activities. The position develops, recommends, modifies, and implements policies and procedures for clinical research, as well as develops protocol manuals and data collection instruments. This position significantly contributes to the interpretation of research findings. The Department of Shock Trauma, Trauma Research Patient Safety is seeking a Research Specialist, Clinical. The Clinical Research Specialist functions as a single specialist in a clinical setting who is responsible for providing the highest technical expertise to research programs and projects overseeing clinical research activities. The position develops, recommends, modifies, and implements policies and procedures for clinical research, as well as develops protocol manuals and data collection instruments. This position significantly contributes to the interpretation of research findings.
The Research Specialist, Clinical will work for the Patient Safety Division of the Shock, Trauma and Anesthesiology Research organized research center (STAR-ORC) at the University of Maryland, Baltimore. STAR-ORC is a world-class, multi-disciplinary research and educational center focusing on brain injuries, critical care and organ support, resuscitation, surgical outcomes, patient safety and injury prevention. It is the first research center in the nation dedicated exclusively to the study of trauma, its complications and prevention. The Patient Safety Division within STAR-ORC focuses on developing the advanced algorithms and devices for predicting patient status.
**This is a contractual position**UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 10 vacation days, 11 personal and holidays, 5 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and supplemental retirement options; and limited tuition remission for employees enrolled at UMB.
- Perform Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) protocol development and ensure compliance of research operations with protocols.
- Perform and direct studies and/or project(s). Develop, recommend, modify and implement policies and procedures and/or methods for clinical research. Develop protocol manuals and data collection instruments. Participate in the design of research studies.
- Perform clinical research activities including advanced data analysis using statistical software such as SAS, SPSS, and R; data management (collection, entry, verification); data interpretation, and ensures compliance and clinical relevance of data.
- Searches relevant literature, develops conclusions on research findings, writes reports, prepare and deliver presentations of relevant findings and conclusions, and recommends appropriate actions. Conduct library research and contributes to the preparation and writing of research findings for publication of journal articles and grant proposals.
- Manages interaction with subject participants including eligibility screening, recruitment, enrollment, ensuring informed consent is properly secured and documented, counseling, and obtaining patient medical history. Obtains tissue and blood samples as necessary and collects information through interviews, questionnaires, test results, and charts.
- Serves as liaison to other departments, outside organizations, government agencies, and product representatives to promote effective and efficient operation and use of resources.
- Perform administrative duties such as providing training and guidance to students and other clinical staff, attending research meetings, and assisting with contract negotiations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in discipline appropriate to position required.
Master's degree preferred.
Experience: Three (3) years of related clinical research experience with at least two (2) years relevant research specialization.
Other: Consideration may be given for a unique combination of education and experience.*
May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation.
* Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field with at least 18 credits in a field related to the research of the clinic, or Bachelor's degree in unrelated field with at least one year of experience in a field directly related to the research of the clinic. Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possesses a knowledge of data manipulation and analysis and clinical research procedures and able to perform position in compliance with all requirements, regulations, and laws. Ability to understand and utilized scientific/medical terminology and research theory. Ability to gain knowledge and meet the reporting needs of UMB policies and practices for Institutional Review, Human Protections, Animal Protections, etc. Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends and influences. Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; and learns how to effectively use technology. Maintains productivity and uses strategies to increase knowledge base. Skill in continuously seeking to improve the quality of services and processes.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Writes and presents information in a clear and concise way. Interprets and understands written information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding. Skills in ethically communicating risks and benefits an ability to maintain confidentiality.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively with other to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers.
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-7171, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
: Exempt Staff - E3304E
Employee Class Exempt Contingent II
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
: Day Job
Financial Disclosure: No
: SOM Program in Trauma
: Nov 28, 2016