| EOE Statement:|
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Position functions as a Phlebotomist and Front Desk Patient Service Representative in Siteman Cancer Center Lab. This position provides blood drawing procedures and experienced skill in capillary and venipucture blood collection in an outpatient area or laboratory environment under direct or moderate supervision. Position checks patients in and obtains, verifies and ensures accuracy of data, lab specimens and collection tube labels. The Lab staff serves as a liaison between consumers (staff, patients, healthcare professionals and general public) and advocates the patients’ needs.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES::
- Receives patients from waiting room and directs/escorts them to appropriate area.
- Greets all patients in a friendly manner and consistently identifies patients using at least two identifiers.
- Efficiently prepares for phlebotomy procedure by gathering necessary supplies and information in advance in order to limit waste and patient wait time.
- Accurately verifies lab orders into the computer system and releases order for specimen collection. Verifies the accuracy of labeling of sample collection tubes.
- Consistently cleans venipuncture site and draws blood sample using appropriate personal protective equipment in a manner intended to limit patient discomfort.
- Prepares and maintains blood draw stations and front desk area by monitoring, stocking, and maintaining medical supplies and supply maintenance/repair. Advises Supervisor immediately regarding the malfunction of equipment or supply shortage. Takes responsibility to assure the efficient and effective functioning of the area by maintaining cleanliness and order.
- Uses IDX Appointment Manager to promptly “time-stamp” patient’s arrival and patient flow through the blood sample collection process. Consistently and accurately utilizes IDX Patient Tracking to assure efficiency and limit patient wait times.
- Creates lab appointments in IDX for walk-in patients and registers patients in the Barnes mainframe system as needed.
- Assists Clinical Teams, Physicians and Research Coordinators in preparing complete laboratory order forms including patient identifiers, diagnosis, provider name and ordered tests. Completes the appropriate requisitions to obtain lab specimens as ordered by physician or required by clinical research.
- Monitors patient’s insurances requirements. Collects and prepares blood samples for shipment to outside laboratories according to payer/contract requirements. Notifies insurance verification department of labs test that require precertification no later than the date of service.
- Acts as a general liaison between doctor and patient by answering questions and providing direction as indicated. If unable to answer questions, locates appropriate person to provide assistance.
- Routes phone messages, patient questions, and telephone communications to appropriate individuals/personnel.
- Accurately completes and submits electronic fee tickets on a daily basis.
- Assists RN in subcutaneous port blood draws in order to improve efficiency of procedure and reduce patient wait times. Remains observant of opportunities to improve patient flow and provide assistance as needed without Supervisor’s direction.
- Seeks advice and consultation from Supervisor when needed in order to assure appropriate lab order execution.
- Accepts directions to perform all other duties as deemed appropriate by education/training and as directed by Supervisor in the event of an emergency or crisis.
- Complies with OSHA, State and Federal regulatory sources/standards.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
- Participates in quality improvement activities, to ensure appropriate clinical outcomes.
- Participates in cross training programs according to established standards and practices.
- Maintains required skills and competencies and participates in educational programs, staff meetings and inservices.
- Assists with training of co-workers.
2 years of work experience in a laboratory or medical office setting.
Interactive communication skills with ability to work with physicians, patients and support staff. Must have strong interpersonal, organizational and patient assessment skills. Working knowledge of anatomy and physiology, fundamentals of body mechanics.
High School diploma. Completion of an educational program in Phlebotomy or Medical Assistance.
CPR certification required.
Offers made for this position are contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment screens, including a criminal background check, hair sample drug screen, and verification of required professional licenses, registrations, or certifications.
Position works on an as needed basis.
Department Name/Job Location:
This position is in the Department of Medical Oncology. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
The hiring range for this position is $13.62 - $16.68 per hour.
This position is not eligible to receive benefits.
Internal Applicant Instruction:
This position is grade C05.
Please attach a copy of your most current signed performance evaluation (completed within the last 18 months) to your online account. If you have not received a performance evaluation, you may provide two current signed letters of recommendation (written within the last 18 months), preferably to include one letter from either a current or recent former supervisor. To attach these documents, go to: My Career Tools, Add Attachment, Attachment Type – Performance Reviews or Letters of Recommendation.