The Director of Strategic Communications will support the Associate Dean of Marketing and Strategic Communications in developing and executing the Law School’s communications vision and strategy, with the overall goal of building the Law School’s reputation with key constituent groups including prospective students, prospective employers, alums and academics.
- Develop and execute the Law School’s communications strategy to advance the Law School’s strategic plans and goals among all audiences, including the academic community, alumni and donors, prospective students, press and media, the business community, and the general public. Ensure flawless execution of all initiatives, including on time and on budget delivery
- Responsible for identifying and developing opportunities for media outreach around Law School research, faculty, students, alumni, and activities, this includes creating effective pitches and coordinating internal resources to realize these opportunities
- Responsible for conceptualizing, writing, and editing feature stories, news announcements, press releases, newsletters, profiles, program descriptions, and social media posts that highlight faculty, students, alumni, research, activities, and the school’s culture
- Manage Marketing and Communications team members in the pursuit of department goals and objectives
- Responsible for providing oversight and assistance where appropriate to content developers throughout the Law School
- Responsible for codifying house style (copy), and ensuring consistent usage across all publishing platforms
- Collaborate with other departments and University Relations to accomplish Law School marketing and communications goals and objectives
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university in communications, journalism, marketing, or a related field leading to a bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 7 or more years of increasing responsibility in relevant roles.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Thorough knowledge of marketing concepts, strategies, and techniques.
- Deep experience working with a broad spectrum of communications vehicles, including print and social media, website, and other electronic communications.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Experience with media relations: spotting opportunities, crafting effective pitches, and working with faculty, students, staff, and alumni to ensure appropriate media coverage.
- Knowledge of emerging marketing trends.
- Basic knowledge of legal education and industry trends.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.