The responsibilities of this position include teaching, research and service.
- Teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in mathematics, mathematical preparation of teachers, and mathematics education.
- Establishment of an independent, grant-supported research program and, where applicable, development of interdisciplinary research collaborations with allied research groups in science and education.
- Maintenance of a strong record of publication and scholarly activity.
- Supervision of graduate students at both the masters and doctoral level.
- Significant contributions to the department, college, university, community and profession commensurate with rank.
The department offers mathematics courses to support the preparation of elementary school teachers and middle level mathematics specialists. Currently, the Department of Mathematics and Statistics offers the following Mathematics related degrees:
- BS in Mathematics, BS in Mathematics-Secondary Teaching Option with Certification, or BS in Mathematics-Teaching Option without Certification
- MS in Mathematics with Teaching Emphasis
- PhD in Mathematics with emphasis in Mathematics Education
WSU has a vigorous and growing mathematics education group consisting of faculty from both mathematics and education at both WSU and the nearby University of Idaho campus, meeting regularly to discuss current research. Fifteen graduate students in mathematics education are supported as either TAs or RAs in the department, out of a total of 90 graduate students.
The College of Arts and Sciences:
We are the largest academic unit in the WSU system and a powerhouse of research, scholarly, and creative activity.
Comprised of social, natural, and physical sciences, humanities, mathematics, and the arts, the college’s foundational disciplines provide a strong framework for educational and research activities across the institution and fully support the University’s goal to advance knowledge through innovative scholarship and research.
We are united by the spirit of inquiry, dedicated to the pursuit of excellence, and strengthened by our service to the community.