Food Service Worker III - Fixed Term - 72473
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community in a sustainable and fiscally responsible manner. The Department is the steward for one-third of Stanfords physical plant and has a $234 million annual operating budget. R&DE comprises 800+ staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost (SAVP Office), Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of four R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology, and Communications. R&DE houses 13,000+ students and their dependents while serving over 6.5 million meals annually to students, conference, catering, retail, and concession guests.
ABOUT STANFORD DINING:
R&DE Stanford Dining, a division of Residential & Dining Enterprises, serves over 12,000 meals per day. Its operations include11 undergraduate dining halls, two late-night dining operations,Schwab Executive Dining, an athletic training table program, the Teaching Kitchen @ Stanford, Community BeWell Gardens, and summer conference dining. As the dining department of the worlds premier research and teaching institution, R&DE Stanford Dining promotes food as a multidisciplinary educational experience and engages students in food issues such as those related to health, the environment, social equity and the global economy. R&DE Stanford Dining has been recognized for its culinary excellence by awards such as the prestigious industry Ivy Award by Restaurants and Institutions for its environmental leadership role, by numerous awards such as the Acterra Award for Sustainability, and most recently was named Most Vegan-Friendly College by peta2 for its vegan and vegetarian offerings, and certified as a Responsible Epicurean and Agricultural Leadership (REAL) restaurant by the United States Healthful Food Council for its use of nutrition and sustainability best practices. For more information, please visitwww.dining.stanford.edu.
I. Summary of Position
Cooks prepare all foods, and in doing so, make decisions regarding the quality of produce, portioning of ingredients, seasoning and attractiveness of the final product. In addition to the preparation of specific menu items, Cooks (working from standardized recipes and daily production sheets provided by management) order supplies from the storerooms, pre-pare menu items for following meals and store leftover food. They may substitute menu selections within guidelines established by management.
II. Essential Job Functions
- Welcome and connect with every customer to provide excellent customer service.
- Prepares an extensive variety of hot or cold meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking on a grill, oven, or in a variety of kitchen equipment. Cold food items include salads, salad dressings, cold plates, sandwiches, hors doeuvres.
- Test food items for proper texture, temperature, doneness, and flavor.
- Prepare hot and cold food for meals according to recipes and directions.
- Responsible for preparing, cooking, plating and serving of hot and cold starters and appetizers.
- Assist in determining amounts to be prepared, including starting amounts and batch sizes.
- Washes, peels, chops, slices, dices and mixes vegetables and fruits and other ingredients for salads, cold plates and garnishes.
- Carves and slices cold meats, cheese and prepares seafood. Prepares composite salads.
- Read recipes and follow instructions to make sure food is prepared with excellent quality, correctly and on-time.
- Check food supplies needed to ensure availability. Order supplies from storeroom when needed.
- Prep for the following day. Ensure food is prepared, labeled and ready for use.
- Complete production records at meal time. Report production counts in production sheet.
- Assists in food prep during off-peak periods.
- Record last minute menu changes.
- Order supplies from storeroom and prepare menu items
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area.
- Washes and cleans all utensils, preparation equipment, counters required for production in the pantry area.
- Ensures that sanitation and food handling safety standards are followed and maintained.
- Adhere to Uniform guidelines and personal hygiene standards.
- Communicate clearly with management and other personnel. Bring issues to their attention if needed for resolution. Ensure accurate information is provided to a management.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Complete other duties as assigned within classification. Follow established guidelines for personal hygiene and personal attire. Comply with required food safety, sanitation and health standards.
- A minimum of 2 years experience in kitchen preparation and cooking, with an understanding of proper food handling and safety, knowledge of safety and sanitation standards, and culinary fundamentals (i.e. knife skills, HACCP, methods of cooking, etc.
- Ability to work independently and as a cooperative team member.
- Must have prior catering experience.
- Must be service-oriented, courteous and professional.
- Ability to interact effectively with customers and co-workers.
- Must adhere to the department policies and procedures.
IV. English Proficiency Requirements
Must have the ability to understand and communicate in English with adequate proficiency to follow directions from supervisor, read and understand safety guidelines and directions to prevent accidents or injuries from occurring, and communicate effectively with customers (staff, visitors, students) by listening and speaking clearly to them.
V. Physical Requirements:
Ability to stand for prolonged periods, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, push and pull items. Physical agility critical to perform essential job functions. Lift up to 25 lbs pounds must have manual dexterity. Ability to work around hot equipment (stoves, grills, ovens).
Working Conditions and Frequency of Occurrence:
- Extreme Temperature Changes (10%-30%)
- Walking (30%-60%)
- Standing (50%-80%)
- Sitting (10%-20%)
- Bending (10%-50%)
- Squatting (10%-20%)
- Hand and Finger Dexterity (10%-40%)
- Reaching (10%-50%)
- Climbing (10%-20%)
- Noise (90%-100%)
- Lifting, Carrying, Pushing, Pulling
- Up to 10 Pounds (30%-60%)
- Up to 25 Pounds (20%-50%)
- Up to 50 Pounds (10%-20%)
- Over 50 Pounds (5%-10%)
Job: Food Services
Location: Residential & Dining Enterprises
Job Code: 7287