| The Harvard Graduate School of Education is the premier institution world-wide for preparing leaders in the field of education. HGSE offers 13 master's programs and three doctoral programs, leading to careers in teaching and research, school leadership, counseling, language and literacy, education policy, higher education, and many other fields. In addition, each year more than 8,000 educational leaders from around the world participate in our professional education programs, both on campus and online.|
Gutman Library's unparalleled collections and services represent and support the evolving multidisciplinary teaching and research of the HGSE community, playing a critical role in advancing HGSE's teaching and learning mission by empowering students with the necessary skills to navigate all aspects of research, writing and scholarly communication. The Gutman librarians are academic professionals and an integral part of HGSE's mission, working collaboratively with constituents across the school.
As an integrated component of the Harvard Library, the largest university library in the world, the Gutman librarians routinely work with colleagues across the university on a wide-array of initiatives. Given HGSE's own priority to advance teaching and learning, the Director of Gutman Library will work closely with the Associate University Librarian for Research and Education for the Harvard Library on a routine basis.
HGSE seeks an innovative, collaborative, and visionary leader who will inspire a highly dedicated and professional team to establish the model for a dynamic education research library. The successful candidate will have a strong track record of building strategic programs and leveraging partnerships across organizational boundaries.
Reporting jointly to the Executive Dean and the Associate Dean for Learning and Teaching, the Librarian and Director of the Monroe C. Gutman Library is an important member of the leadership team of the School and is also a member of the Library Leadership Team led by the Vice President for the Harvard Library. In addition, the Librarian and Director of Gutman Library will hold a courtesy faculty appointment (without teaching obligations).
Gutman Library includes a vibrant community and student center with spaces for informal interaction, collaborative learning, and access to a significant specialized collection. The Librarian and Director leads the Gutman Library creatively, progressively, and inclusively in support of teaching and research of the School and the needs of the wider Harvard scholarly community and beyond. The candidate ensures excellence in the development and assessment of services, strategies and systems that advance research, teaching and learning and:
- Provides direction and leadership in developing innovative and strategic library and special collections initiatives.
- Has broad knowledge of the information resources, content and material that support the fields of education and human development.
- Collaborates with the faculty and the deans to ensure the Library's services and collections are deeply embedded with the School's academic mission and priorities and remain highly valued by faculty and students.
- Working closely with the School's Teaching and Learning Lab and the IT department, leads the development of innovative knowledge, information and technological services, based on a deep understanding of trends in the field of education, online learning, learning design, and assessment.
- Manages the Gutman Library operating budget (approximately $2.7M), as well as the relationship and service agreements with the Harvard Library.
- As a member of the HGSE faculty and its senior leadership, serves on a variety of committees and task forces both within HGSE and at Harvard.
- Participates actively in national and regional professional organizations.
Salary Grade: 060
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary