The Associate Director, Digital Communications (Email and Web) manages and oversees the email marketing program for ARD and serves as the department’s project lead on maintenance of Website content. As the frontline email coordinator, this position will work with the director of digital communications to develop an email marketing strategy for ARD; collaborate with ARD teams to develop email execution goals, timelines, and success metrics in order to deliver a best-in-class email experience for alumni and partners; and identify and analyze competitor e-mail and digital communications including strategy, creative, and promotional innovations. As ARD’s website editor, this position ensures that the websites have refreshed, engaging content in coordination with ARD program teams.
- Manage and Coordinate ARD’s Email Marketing Program
- Maintain the ARD schedule of broadcast e-mails to alumni and other constituents and work with University partners to coordinate timing of large email campaigns
- Develop and continually update documentation of process guidelines and usage policies for email marketing
- Lead an email marketing work group to implement best practices throughout the organization
- Serve as the subject-matter expert on ARD’s use of its broadcast email tools and related technologies, including providing occasional advanced support for staff and troubleshooting of complex emails and related landing pages, event registrations, and/or forms
- Help develop a comprehensive testing protocol to ensure perfect look and accuracy
- Serve as ARD's representative on University-wide email marketing coordination efforts
- Advise the Northwestern Information Technology trainers on the broadcast email training needs of ARD and University staff
Develop Email and Related Digital Marketing Strategies
- Measure, track, and report the effectiveness of email usage and develop actionable best practices for improving performance
- Manage and monitor email analytics and regularly report on progress to internal partners toward the goal of continual growth and adoption
- Develop innovative email solicitation strategies and seek out relevant new practices from outside of higher education
- Develop data-gathering best practices for email response and Web-based engagement, in relation to the University’s constituent database of record
- Proactively research new ways to optimize email and web-based delivery vehicles to cultivate engagement and conversions and stay up to date as the ARD expert at for the iModules email system and CMS
Manage Web-based Content Updates
- Update and manage the content on the Northwestern Alumni Association (NAA) website, the giving website, and the Our Northwestern community
- Administer and manage content-admin rights for ARD staff contributors
- Develop and edit content submitted by subject matter experts across ARD
- Strategically assist with new forms of Web-based content, especially the development of advanced events and registration forms in iModules
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications team and internal clients on developing strategies and creative approaches for digital communications
- Work with Marketing and Communications team members to establish project timelines
- Ensure project solutions meet defined goals
- Build and maintain strong partnerships with stakeholders throughout the ARD and across the University, including schools and units
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a major such as journalism, communications, marketing, or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Four to seven years of professional experience in digital marketing and communications, including website content management and email marketing to multiple constituent groups or other relevant experience is required.
- Experience managing branded social media accounts and proficiency with Google Analytics and HTML-based content management systems
- Advance knowledge of a content management system, as well as email and event management tools
- Strong experience with constituent database management
- Demonstrated expertise in email deliverability best practices, including mobile and responsive design
- Analytic skills and ability to analyze and derive insight from data through A/B testing and email optimization
- Ability to use both data and experience-based intuition to inform decisions
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with others on a team
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Effective project management skills in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Master’s degree in communications, marketing, or related field
- Experience in higher education advancement or the equivalent combination of education
- Advanced knowledge of iModules CMS, email, and events tools
- Knowledge of current Internet standards, including email marketing, CAN-SPAM regulations
- Experience with landing page testing and optimization
- Understanding of basic online marketing funnel and how channels work together including search and SEO, social, mobile, and content marketing
- Working knowledge of HTML, CSS, and Photoshop
- Knowledge and understanding of Northwestern University and its organizational structure
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.