Department: University Life Activities
Outdoor Adventures, Assistant Trip Leader
George Mason University Mason Recreation, within the Division of University Life, invites applications for an Outdoor Adventures Assistant Trip Leader. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Mason Recreation meets the diverse needs and interest of the Mason community by providing programs, services, and facilities that are innovative, comprehensive, inclusive, and of unsurpassed quality. Mason Recreation creates an atmosphere that encourages individuals to develop lifelong involvement in recreational, fitness and wellness activities through both structured and informal opportunities that meet the dynamic needs of the university's diverse community. We are committed to enhancing the quality of life for the Mason community by fostering leaders, encouraging healthy lifestyles, promoting learning, and developing meaningful social interactions.
This is an entry-level position. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Safely lead Outdoor Adventure trips for the Mason community;
- Work with Coordinator, Outdoor Adventures on leading outdoor programs for Mason students;
- Assist with scouting trips, planning logistics and transportation needs for each trip;
- Assist with safely leading groups of students in wilderness settings, sometimes in adverse weather conditions;
- Ability to become trained in wilderness emergency medicine;
- Assist Trip Leader in providing emotional and medical attention to participants during emergencies;
- Assist with gear rental, as well as equipment check-out/-in, repair, and cleaning; and
- Assist with skills workshops and clinics.
- First Aid and CPR; and
- Wilderness First Aid for back-country day trips.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Interest in outdoor recreation;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Willingness to learn and grow;
- Enjoy and appreciate health, fitness and/or wellness;
- Solid organizational skills;
- Ability to think clearly in a stressful environment;
- Ability to work extended hours on your feet often with a heavy backpack of up to 60 pounds; and
- Valid driver's license and must be insurable.
Salary: $8.25 per hour
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number SWC505 at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.