University of California, San Francisco
Department of Neurology
The Berke Lab studies neural mechanisms of learning, motivation and decision-making (seehttp://www.neuroscience.ucsf.edu/neurograd/faculty/berke.html) and is now recruiting for a Specialist scientist. This will most likely be at the Junior level to facilitate the research activities of postdoctoral scientists, but depending on experience it could potentially be at a higher level (Assistant or Associate) and involve more independent experimentation and data analysis. This position would necessarily involve a variety of activities, and the specific blend of activities would depend on the person’s skills and experience.
The position might suit a highly-motivated recent graduate who plans to subsequently move on to graduate school, but preference will be given to candidates who can commit to at least a two-year stint.
Required qualifications include:
• BS/BA degree in STEM field (e.g. Neuroscience, Molecular Biology, Computer Engineering, Applied Math, Physiological Psychology, or Animal Behavior) and at least 3 months of experience working in a science research lab (e.g. as undergraduate assistant).
• OR: At least 4 years experience working in a science research lab, with multiple relevant skills (e.g. genotyping, histology, rodent behavioral training, data management).
• Familiarity with standard computer software (spreadsheets, word processing, etc).
Preferred qualifications include:
• Research experience in a behavioral neurophysiology lab
• Programming experience with MATLAB, C++, Python and/or SQL
Appointees in the Specialist series will be expected to engage in specialized research, professional activities and do not have teaching responsibilities. Specialists are expected to use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions, and may participate in University and Public Service. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Salary and rank will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF01071