Nurse Research I, MRI - (160000OF)
The Department of STAR (Shock Trauma Anesthesiology Research) at the University of Maryland, Baltimore School of Medicine is seeking a Nurse Research I, MRI.
Under general supervision,the Nurse Research I, MRI serves as the primary technical support to a clinical drug trial or other research study which requires the scope and complexity of a Registered Nurse. This involves implementing specific treatment protocols, obtaining and organizing research data, and providing direct patient care.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 10 vacation days, 11 personal and holidays, 5 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and supplemental retirement options; and limited tuition remission for employees enrolled at UMB.
1. Assists in identifying and recruiting volunteers to participate in clinical drug trials or other research studies. Conducts interviews to determine eligibility using established selection/exclusion criteria.
2. Explains study objectives, requirements, risks, and benefits with potential volunteers to assist them in making a decision regarding their participation.
3. Elicits a complete medical history and conducts physical assessments such as taking vital signs.
4. Implements research protocol including study drug, therapy, and/or invasive procedures. Routinely monitors participants to ensure that medications are being taken in accordance with research protocol.
5. Observes physical and emotional reactions to medications and/or treatments. Reports irregularities and adverse effects to appropriate medical personnel.
6. Obtains, processes, and transports specimens to appropriate laboratory according to established aseptic technique. Performs venipunctures and fingersticks to obtain blood specimens.
7. Completes case report forms and other records documenting activities such as treatments and medications received. Compiles and presents statistics of study progress.
8. Reviews medical records and extracts, enters, and updates information into an automated data file or system.
9. Provides health education information to study participants and their families.
10. Facilitates clinic process by scheduling and following-up appointments; overseeing patient flow; preparing patients for procedures; preparing examination and treatment rooms; and maintaining clinic supplies.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
LICENSURE: Currently licensed with the Maryland State Board of Examiners of Nurses as a Registered Nurse under Maryland State Law.
EXPERIENCE: One year experience as a Registered Nurse.
- Thorough knowledge of the Maryland Nurse Practice Act for Registered Nurses.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles of aseptic technique and infection control including blood and body fluid precautions.
- Ability to perform extensive standing and walking. Thorough knowledge, skill, and ability to perform various medical and nursing procedures and to operate medical equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Ability to gather and interpret quantitative and qualitative data.
- Ability to operate computers and other office equipment.
- Skill and ability to interact with the public, health care providers, agencies, and facilities.
- Thorough knowledge of and compliance with confidentiality of records and communications regarding clients.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examination to determine the ability to perform the job. Employees in this job class will be required to comply with the Maryland Nurse Practice Act for Registered Nurses. Employees in this job class may be subject to pre-employment and random drug testing. Overtime, weekend, on-call and shift work may be required in some positions.
Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are not eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union).
Salary Range: $50,581-$55,000
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-7171, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
: Non-Exempt Staff - N15NR1
Employee Class : Non-Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Financial Disclosure: No
: SOM Program in Trauma
: Aug 30, 2016