| EOE Statement:|
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Position leads the work of Medical Assistants in the clinical operation of a patient care setting; this position leads the work of Medical Assistants I and II, and/or acts as the primary clinic resource in a large multi-physician clinical practice; functions as a Medical Assistant in the department, prepares and maintains exam rooms, prepares charts, obtains reports and records; directs patient flow and ensures the overall smooth running of the clinical office.
1.Patient Care Duties
- Interacts directly with patients in clinic setting and completes tasks which may include obtaining vital signs, completion of EKGs, phlebotomy, and verification of medications
- Prepares for office hours by doing tasks such as obtaining charts, scheduling tests, and preparing exam rooms
- Assists with examinations, procedures, and lab tests
- May assist with renewal and authorization of non-narcotic medications per standing orders and department guidelines
- May administer medications under the order of physicians or nurse practitioner (this includes vaccines and IM and subcutaneous injections)
2.Communication and Documentation
- May schedule and assign work to other Medical Assistants to ensure appropriate staffing; assists in orientating and training new Medical Assistants
- Directs patient flow, assists with special procedures/treatments, and completes requisitions
- Routes phone messages, patient questions, and telephone communications to appropriate personnel
- Assists with care coordination by doing tasks outlined under the department guidelines such as calling patients with test results, scheduling appointments, assisting physician with return calls; scheduling surgeries, diagnostic procedures, and admissions; and monitoring new and return patient contacts, including scheduling of appointments and follow-up appointments
- Completes necessary paperwork and documentation in a timely manner
- Answers basic questions from patient/family regarding treatments, diagnosis, and procedures
- If order entry in the Electronic Medical Record is part of the job function, completes requisitions/orders per Washington University guidelines
3.Equipment and Supplies
- Monitors supply inventory, ensuring adequate supplies, equipment, or garments are available and that they comply with regulations
- Cleans and stocks exam rooms and sterilizes instruments
- Maintains required HIPAA compliance, skills/competencies and participates in in-services, staff programs, continuing education, and cross-training programs according to established standards and Washington University policies
- Complies with OSHA, state and federal regulatory sources/standards
- Participates in quality improvement activities to ensure appropriate clinical outcomes
- Performs other duties as assigned
One year or more of supervisory or team leader experience preferred. Graduate of an Accredited Medical Assistant program is highly preferred. Electronic Medical Record experience preferred.
Interactive communication skills with ability to work with physicians, patients, families, significant others, and support staff; must have strong interpersonal, organizational, and telephone skills, working knowledge of anatomy and physiology, fundamentals of medical terminology, and experience/knowledge working with electronic medical records.
MINIMUM EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: High school diploma or GED; a Registered or Certified Medical Assistant with a minimum of 3 years of related work experience (examples of related fields include military medic, emergency medical technicians, Nurse’s Aide, physical therapy and nurse technicians, and certified athletic trainers); substitutions include.
- Medical Assistant certification/registration eligible with successful completion of certification exam within 6 months of hire date or within a shorter time frame if noted by hiring manager
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program (such as RN/LPN), or comparable allied health training program with a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience
REQUIRED LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Must be able to show proof of Medical Assistant registration/certification or complete Medical Assistant registration/certification within 6 months of hire date or within a shorter time frame if noted by hiring manager; Basic Life Support certification.
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location:
This position is in the Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Medical Oncology. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
-Retirement Savings Plan
-22 vacation days
-8 Paid Holidays
-Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
-Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
-Free Life Insurance
-Health, Dental, Vision
-Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
-Long Term Disability Insurance
-Flex Spending Plan
Med School HR website (medschoolhr.wustl.edu)
The hiring range for this position is $14.95 to $18.31 per hour.
Internal Applicant Instruction:
This position is grade C06.
Please attach a copy of your most current signed performance evaluation (completed within the last 18 months) to your online account. If you have not received a performance evaluation, you may provide two current signed letters of recommendation (written within the last 18 months), preferably to include one letter from either a current or recent former supervisor. To attach these documents, go to: My Career Tools, Add Attachment, Attachment Type – Performance Reviews or Letters of Recommendation.
Offers made for this position are contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment screens, including a criminal background check, hair sample drug screen, and verification of required professional licenses, registrations, or certifications.