Coordinates a broad variety of administrative processes & activities such as database, budget, & HR - maintenance & reporting; communications including website design; & management of supervisor(s) &/or dept's multiple calendars & events. Reviews administrative work procedures, policies & operational methods; identifies & documents as applicable: Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs); best practices; appropriate filing & audit mechanisms; financial & performance metrics reporting; & regulatory & compliance systems.
Documents & Databases (30%)
- Based on analysis, research, &/or knowledge of subject matter, professional field &/or topic, prepares & compiles correspondence, reports, etc.
- Creates &/or maintains complex spreadsheets &/or databases &/or reports, queries, charts, etc. based on supervisor's information objectives.
Human Resources (35%)
- Coordinates administration of all HR actions from hiring to termination.
- Supports staff &/or academic searches.
- Recommends & implements changes to administration of HR policy & procedures for unit/dept.
- Oversees creation, design & maintenance of website &/or blog content ensuring ease & practicality of use for targeted audience & objective.
- Organizes information in ways that promotes & encourages use of site.
- Gathers information regarding programs, events, etc.
- Creates, writes, edits & posts articles, newsletters, program summaries, etc. to website.
- Administers budgets for awards &/or dept which may include approving purchases, reimbursements &/or orders.
- Processes accounting transfers, appropriation & funding changes, deposits, & payroll.
- Completes journal entries.
- Creates & monitors budget statements.
- Verifies that charges are accurate & posted to the appropriate account.
- Reconciles accounts.
- Resolves discrepancies &/or outstanding encumbrances.
- Assists in balancing accounts at close of fiscal year.
- Assists in preparation of annual budget.
- Administer budgets &/or accounting balances for multiple awards.
- Manages supervisor's &/or dept calendar.
- Manages complex scheduling arrangements involving multiple parties & conferences, international travel, etc.
- Sets-up & cancels meetings based on knowledge of subject & attendees.
- Coordinates large scale &/or complex events.
- Ensures that all logistics such as advertising, registration, speakers, international travel arrangements, venues, catering, technology, etc. have been completed.
- Represents the dept, program or project with various levels of personnel both internally & externally managing & facilitating confidential &/or critical information.
- Responds to unanticipated & complex issues.
- Coordinates work of receptionists, program assts, temporary/work-study students, secretaries, clerical assts, interns, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A high school diploma or equivalent required.
- 5 years' of administrative support or other relevant experience required.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), and overall computer skills/technical aptitude.
- Understanding of accounting principles, experience with budgeting & financial management.
- Effective problem-solver; critical thinking ability.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Demonstrates initiative and follow through.
- Ability to prioritize and balance competing priorities.
- Strong organizational skills / attention to detail.
- Positive attitude, adaptable to change.
- Able to provide high-level of customer service/support.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree.
- Experience within academia, or the healthcare industry either in a provider or academic setting.
- Supervisory or team leadership experience.
- Experience updating/editing website content through a web content management system/portal.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.