Food Service Worker III - 50% - Stanford Catering - 68536
Food Service Worker III - FSW III 50%
About Residential & Dining Enterprises
Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The university is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus.
Residential & Dining Enterprises, the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $206 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, and provides housing for over 12,000 students, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 500,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. Additionally, R&DE comprises 660 FTE staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, and Information Technology.
Students (Customers) First is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE, Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.
About Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries
Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries (SHA), the newest division within R&DE at Stanford University is committed to excellence and the highest level of customer service and relations.
The divisions businesses include, campus retail cafes, Stanford Catering, the Belden Residential Property in Monterey, Stanford Guest House, athletics concessions and the most recently, the addition of Munger Graduate Residence, a Munger 600 bed graduate student residency and $3 million plus facility located at the Stanford Law School on the Stanford campus. Munger Catering will be the signature brand of Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, organized and staffed to provide the highest level of excellence to Stanford Law School and Stanford community.
Summary of Position
Cooks prepare all foods, and in doing so, make decisions regarding the quality of produce, portioning of ingredients, seasoning and attractiveness of the final product. In addition to the preparation of specific menu items, Cooks (working from standardized recipes and daily production sheets provided by management) order supplies from the storerooms, pre-pare menu items for following meals and store leftover food. They may substitute menu selections within guidelines established by management
Essential Job Functions
- Welcome and connect with every customer to provide excellent customer service.
- Prepares an extensive variety of hot or cold meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking on a grill, oven, or in a variety of kitchen equipment. Cold food items include salads, salad dressings, cold plates, sandwiches, hors doeuvres.
- Test food items for proper texture, temperature, doneness, and flavor.
- Prepare hot and cold food for meals according to recipes and directions.
- Responsible for preparing, cooking, plating and serving of hot and cold starters and appetizers.
- Assist in determining amounts to be prepared, including starting amounts and batch sizes.
- Read recipes and follow instructions to make sure food is prepared with excellent quality, correctly and on-time.
- Check food supplies needed to ensure availability. Order supplies from storeroom when needed.
- Prep for the following day. Ensure food is prepared, labeled and ready for use.
- Assists in food prep during off-peak periods.
- Record last minute menu changes.
- Order supplies from storeroom and prepare menu items
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area.
- Communicate clearly with management and other personnel. Bring issues to their attention if needed for resolution. Ensure accurate information is provided to a management.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Supports other Hospitality and Auxiliaries and Munger units.
- Washes, peels, chops, slices, dices and mixes vegetables and fruits and other ingredients for salads, cold plates and garnishes.
- Carves and slices cold meats, cheese and prepares seafood. Prepares composite salads.
- Selects, stores and records leftovers.
- Complete production records at meal time.
- Report production counts in production sheet.
- Washes and cleans all utensils, preparation equipment, counters required for production in the pantry area.
- Ensures that sanitation and food handling safety standards are followed and maintained.
- Adhere to Uniform guidelines and personal hygiene standards.
- Complete other duties as assigned within classification.
- Follow established guidelines for personal hygiene and personal attire. Comply with required food safety, sanitation and health standards.
- A minimum of 2 years experience in kitchen preparation and cooking, with an understanding of proper food handling and safety, knowledge of safety and sanitation standards, and culinary fundamentals (i.e. knife skills, HACCP, methods of cooking, etc.
- Ability to work independently and as a cooperative team member.
- Must have prior catering experience.
- Must be service-oriented, courteous and professional.
- Ability to interact effectively with customers and co-workers.
- Must adhere to the department policies and procedures.
English Proficiency Requirements
Must have the ability to understand and communicate in English with adequate proficiency to follow directions from supervisor, read and understand safety guidelines and directions to prevent accidents or injuries from occurring, and communicate effectively with customers (staff, visitors, students) by listening and speaking clearly to them.
Job: Food Services
Location: Residential & Dining Enterprises
Job Code: 7287