Completes efforts and projects related to the design, installation, operation, support, upgrades and maintenance of infrastructure, including software, servers, networking and storage. Administers, maintains and supports complex and critical infrastructure. Provides user support for server hosting requests, problem resolution, system changes and upgrades. Analyzes infrastructure performance and resolves problems or makes appropriate recommendations. Ensures that all aspects of operability are delivered as part of the implementation process while also ensuring that existing service level is maintained or improved. Contributes to and ensures full compliance to operational standards, procedures and best practices.
This position is based in the centralized Feinberg School of Medicine IT group and will be mostly focused on Linux system administration.
Strategic Planning (10%)
- Leads planning, development, and coordination of operations and projects for current and future infrastructures.
- Anticipates impact of growth and changes in operations, and recommends design and/or process changes.
- Participates in disaster recovery/business continuity planning including backup and recovery procedures and higher availability configurations.
- Ensures data/media recoverability by implementing a schedule of system backups and database archive operations.
- Facilitates coordination and a thorough understanding of requirements, attends project meetings, creates written meeting notes, creates appropriate ticketing, etc.
- Maintains policies and standard procedures to increase system uptime.
- Identifies training needs and keeps current on application technologies.
- Monitors security alerts and ensures that appropriate patches are applied in an automated and timely fashion; works with developers to patch or upgrade custom code for security compliance.
- Documents and maintains system standards; researches and recommends innovative approaches for system administration tasks.
- Creates and maintains standard OS installation images for virtualization templates.
- Monitors application performance on servers.
- Evaluates and manages appropriate software and hardware allocations to achieve an optimum performance level.
- Performs capacity planning for projecting future growth.
- In collaboration with development project teams, builds, rebuilds, and/or updates servers and configures hardware and virtual machines (VM), applications, peripherals, services, networking, storage.
- Leads troubleshooting of application, operating system(s) server hardware, network communications and storage problems within infrastructure.
- Provides a second level of support; leads service incident and problem resolution efforts to support entrusted applications/products.
- Provides user support on deployed servers.
- Consults on best practices to users.
- Provides data and metrics to support sizing requirements and performance tuning decisions. Participate in related decision processes with managers and leads.
- Provides work direction and/or supervises staff such as team members, subordinates, contractors, vendors, students, etc.
- Recommends staff hires/terminations.
- Coaches and mentors staff.
- Manages projects ensuring timelines and deliverables are met and meet expectations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree, or 2 years equivalent experience.
- 4 years’ system administration or equivalent experience required.
- 4 years’ of Linux or Unix system administration experience.
- Ability to identify, research, and solve problems.
- Effective communication skills (written and oral).
- Collaborative, team-oriented.
- Supervisory or team leadership experience.
Experience with the following:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- High Performance Computing (HPC)
- Microsoft PowerShell
- Shell Scripting
- NoSQL (MongoDB, CouchDB)
- Server hardware
- VMware vSphere
- Windows Operating System
- Workflow development & documentation
- Use-case analysis
- HIPAA compliance
- Advanced Linux certification, such as RHCE.
- Deep knowledge and skills with automated enterprise configuration management tools, such as Chef/Puppet/Ansible.
- Knowledge and experience with Cloud environment, such as AWS or Azure.
- Experience with academic research or healthcare systems.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.