Under minimal direction, the Senior Data Visualization Specialist will actively support and advance innovative research activities. In this role, you will work closely with Northwestern researchers who are engaging in research projects at all scales involving complex and/or heterogeneous datasets related to emerging research across multiple domains. Alongside team members currently supporting visualization, data processing and analysis, and scientific computing, you will be instrumental in building sustainable data visualization support services, as Northwestern IT responds to growing research needs of faculty and students. As an integral member of Research Computing Services, you will also lead training efforts through consultation and workshop development for Northwestern faculty and students to develop end user skills in data analytics and data visualization.
Service Support and Onboarding
- Work closely with research groups to understand their research goals and develop visualizations and tools for data exploration and analysis.
- Lead the design, development and implementation of sustainable and scalable data visualization resources and services.
- Identify and leverage optimal tools and technologies (including web and/or cloud-based) to develop visualizations based on project requirements.
- Communicate progress and results to researchers, team members, and the IT@NU community effectively and regularly.
- Identify and develop relationships with researchers and staff to facilitate collaborations, understand new research trends, and improve existing support.
- Assist faculty and staff in drafting of their reports, scientific papers, and grant proposals for sections pertaining to Research Computing Services support and data visualization resources.
- Partner with Northwestern IT staff and researchers to provide a full suite of research computing, data, and visualization support for the research community.
Community Development and Training
- Provide training and consulting for developing data visualizations using available software and tools for exploratory data analysis and outreach.
- Create and update documentation on resources, tools and practices.
- Design and deliver new workshops on visualization tools and services. Develop instructional materials and service information.
- Represent NU Research Computing at campus meetings, internal IT meetings, meetings with senior administrators, external conferences, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in statistics, informatics, computer science, engineering, or a related field is required.OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 2-4 years of experience creating data visualizations using tools such as d3.js, R, Python, and/or Tableau, and demonstrated knowledge of emerging trends, tools, and practices supporting data and visualization.
- Experience in one or more of the following domains: statistical analysis, text analysis, natural language processing, large dataset management and analysis, network analysis, or related domain.
- Experience in the following areas:
- Infrastructure: Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, Linux Operating System,Mac OS X Operating System, Windows Operating System.
- Prefers working in a collaborative, cross-team capacity.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to communicate technical details to non-technical audience.
- Ability to use and teach ReactJS, AngularJS, Gephi, and/or jQuery.
- Experience training others in the use of visualization tools and creating user guides, documentation, and/or training materials.
- Comfortable working with and managing extremely large datasets.
- Experience leveraging cloud technologies (such as AWS, Azure, etc) to develop and deliver visualization projects.
- Knowledge and experience writing research grant proposals.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.