Clinical Research Nurse - (160000IW)
The Clinical Research Nurse independently manages operations of one or more research studies or clinical trial protocols for the Department of Anesthesiology which require the expertise and care of a Registered Nurse. The Clinical Research Nurse instructs and counsels patients in research procedures, administers treatment procedures, monitors patients during procedures, and analyzes patient data. The position also serves as the primary liaison to other departments, outside organizations, government agencies, and product representatives to promote effective and efficient operation and use of resources. The Clinical Research Nurse provides guidance and direction to personnel engaged in clinical research or trials to ensure compliance with protocols and overall clinical objectives.
The Department of Anesthesiology is located at the University of Maryland, Baltimore School of Medicine. The mission of the Department of Anesthesiology is to deliver state-of-the-art anesthesia services in perioperative care, pain management and critical care; educate students, residents and fellows; be recognized for its contributions to the specialty of anesthesiology through education, research and scholarly activities; and contribute to the success of the Medical School and Medical System.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holiday, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependent at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Develops and tracks work flow policies, recruitment strategy, and progress through the duration of the research study or clinical trial. Collaborates with Principal Investigators and regulatory staff in the preparation of new protocol submissions, protocol amendments, and renewals of ongoing clinical trials.
- Manages interaction with subject participants including eligibility screening, recruitment, enrollment, ensuring informed consent is properly secured and documented, counseling, and obtaining patient medical history.
- Manages patient care in compliance with the research study or clinical trial protocol requirements. Monitors subject condition while ensuring safety and maintaining confidentiality. Identifies patient problems and makes adjustments to care plans.
- Serves as a patient advocate throughout the research study or clinical trial. Develops and conducts patient and family education.
- Monitors activities to ensure compliance with protocols and all relevant local, federal, and state regulatory and institutional policies. Continuously educates and trains personnel on compliance and protocol. Identifies protocol problems, informs investigators, and assists in problem resolution efforts.
- Manages complex research study or clinical trial data. Develops methods for collection, database storage, tracking, analysis, and interpretation of data.
- Develops and prepares study or research related documentation such as protocol worksheets, procedural manuals, adverse event reports, case report forms, and institutional review board documents. Responsible for developing and producing custom and routine reports. Provides expertise in identifying and writing research grants, publications in medical and nursing literature, study materials, brochures, and correspondence.
- Reviews proposed research study and clinical trial protocols to evaluate factors such as sample collection process, facility location, data management plans, and potential subject risks. Conducts quality assurance audits on data and regulatory documentation. May identify potential research study and clinical trial opportunities.
- Significantly contributes to budget development, expenditure adherence, grant applications, contract negotiation, and maintenance of inventory on equipment and supplies.
- Administer and implement treatment procedures or drugs, monitors and studies their effects, and conducts subject medical evaluations.
- Obtains tissue and blood samples as necessary and collects information through interviews, questionnaires, test results, and charts.
- Provides ongoing training and guidance to less experienced research and nursing personnel.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in nursing or another discipline appropriate to position strongly preferred.
Experience: Three (3) years of registered nurse experience with at least one (1) year in research specialization.
Licensure: Registered Nurse in the State of Maryland.
Preferred Experience: Certification from Association of Clinical Research Professionals or Society of Clinical Research Associates
Other: May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possesses a knowledge of position requirements and able to perform position in compliance with all requirements/regulations/laws. Ability to understand and utilized scientific/medical terminology and research theory. Ability to gain knowledge and meet the reporting needs of UMB policies and practices for Institutional Review, Human Protections, Animal Protections, etc. Comprehensive knowledge of research principles and practices. Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends and influences. Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; and learns how to effectively use technology. Maintains productivity and uses knowledge strategies to increase knowledge base. Skill in continuously seeking to improve the quality of services and processes.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Writes and presents information in a clear and concise way. Interprets and understands written information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding. Skill in ethically communicating risks and benefits. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively with other to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers.
- Skill in patient care and ability to administer medication and treatments. Ability to handle emergency medical situations. Ability to handle medical instruments and equipment.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-7171, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
: Exempt Staff - E2302E
Employee Class : Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
: Day Job
Financial Disclosure: No
: Medicine - Anesthesiology
: Jun 14, 2016