Nurse Coordinator - (1600008T)
The Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Maryland, Baltimore School of Medicine is seeking three (3) Nurse Coordinators to lead and coordinate the research activities of patients with cancer being enrolled into clinical trials. These positions are responsible for overseeing research projects and ensuring that appropriate staff are aware of study protocols. The Nurse Coordinators conduct study specific training for the clinical and research team, to ensure all team members have a clear understanding of the project prior to initiation.
The Nurse Coordinators are a primary interface, along with the faculty member, for cancer patients enrolled in clinical trials. The Nurse Coordinators will assist regulatory coordinators with communicating with the Institutional Review Board (IRB) and communicating treatment modifications and amendments, confirms appropriateness of drug doses in accordance with protocols, acts as a consultant to members of the health care team, and prepares and responds to audits conducted by study sponsors.
These are full-time, exempt positions that will work Monday through Friday. Some schedule flexibility may be required.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that include 22vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive healthinsurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and theirdependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Follows the clinical courses of patients entered into clinical research studies by obtaining results of diagnostic studies, assessing patients for complications, and recording patient data onto study forms.
- Assists principal investigators in obtaining consent.
- Conducts patient/family education concerning clinical studies.
- Interacts with patients and families to solicit adverse event (side effect) information as well as medications taken since last visit.
- Maintains lines of communication between the institution and the study sponsor by preparing study reports and communicating with clinical study monitors. Monitors study activities to ensure compliance with protocols and with all relevant local, federal, and state regulatory and institutional policies.
- Confirms appropriateness of drug doses in accordance with protocols.
- Prepares and responds to audits conducted by study sponsors.
- Instructs research staff in scientific and procedural aspects of studies including standards of care, informed consent procedures, and documentation procedures.
- Assists regulatory coordinators in communicating with the IRB.
- Assists pharmacokinetic (PK) specialist in obtaining clinical samples from patients and preparing samples for processing
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Licensure: Registered Nurse in the State of Maryland.
Experience: Five (5) years of experience as a registered nurse with at least one (1) year of clinical research experience.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
Preferred: Prior oncology nursing experience or experience in investigational/therapeutic clinical trials is preferred.
Other: May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Possesses knowledge of best practices in research as well as all relevant federal, state, and local rules, regulations, and programs/policies for meeting compliance. Able to perform position in compliance with all requirements, regulations, and laws. Able to maintain high standards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends and influences. Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; and learns how to effectively use technology. Maintains productivity and uses knowledge strategies to increase knowledge base. Able to establish goals, structures, and processes necessary to implement a mission and strategic vision.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Interprets and understands written information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding. Able to prioritize ongoing and new projects, as well as conduct research and gather information.
- Able to maintain confidentiality of subjects and information obtained.
- Able to work cooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively with other to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers.
Hiring Range: Salary will start approximately in the $80,000s and will be commensurate with education and experience.
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Human Resource Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
: Exempt Staff - E2301F
Employee Class : Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
: Day Job
Financial Disclosure: No
: Medicine - Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center
: Oct 5, 2016