OFFICIAL TITLE: HVAC and Refrigeration Mechanic II
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Associate Director of Facilities
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: May supervise subordinate personnel
General Statement of Duties: The HVAC Refrigeration Mechanic II is responsible for safely installing, maintaining, and repairing various heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration equipment and performing related work as required.
(E) = Essential
1.(E) Installs heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment, including controls and related fixtures such as air and water filters and piping by using refrigeration, pipe fitting and structural layout techniques, blueprints, appropriate machines, tools and work aids to join tubing and/or pipes; to cut and thread pipes; to solder or braze joints; to mount compressor and condenser units; and to connect motors, compressors, temperature controls, humidity controls and circulating ventilation fans to electrical power sources.
2. (E) Checks equipment for malfunctioning by observing pressure and vacuum gauges and other indicators; by adjusting controls in testing joints and connections for gas leaks; by injecting refrigerant and adjustment valves, controls and pumps; and by using testing equipment such as voltmeters, ohmmeters, amp probes, etc. to ensure proper operation.
3.(E) Maintains, rebuilds and repairs by replacing worn or defective parts such as switches, fuses, thermostats and electrical wiring; by pumping specified gas or fluids into systems; by adding necessary liquids; by lubricating motors and bearings; and by changing filters.
4. (E) Calculates heat loads for new installations; analyzes and treats both open and closed water systems such as cooling towers by adding algaecides to prevent the spread of airborne bacteria.
5. (E) Performs related work such as making and assembling metal ducts and chassis parts for heating, air conditioning and refrigeration systems; drilling holes for mounting brackets; screwing, boring, riveting and welding parts to assemble structural and functional components such as motors, controls, switches and gauges; and installing shells and cabinets of systems.
6. (E) May train, instruct, and assign work to HVAC employees of a lower grade through written and verbal forms of communication for compliance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
7. Orders supplies and equipment as necessary.
8. Performs other duties as assigned within the HVAC Refrigeration Mechanic classification.
a. Classification specifications are available at http://www.mass.edu/foradmin/humanresources/classspecshrd.asp
1.Current and valid Massachusetts Refrigeration Technician's License.
2.Current and valid Massachusetts Driver's License.
3.Must be able to pass pre-employment physical and perform all essential duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
4.Experience with both DDC and pneumatic control systems and devices. Ability to troubleshoot, repair or replace these devices.
5.Previous experience working on computer based building management systems (BMS) and ability to troubleshoot and diagnose HVAC problems utilizing them.
6. At least two years of full-time, or equivalent part- time technical experience in the installation,maintenance and repair of heating, refrigeration, ventilating and air conditioning systems, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
A certificate or diploma from a recognized institution above the high school level, as evidence of completion of a two year program