The Associate Director for Clinical Research is responsible for serving as a senior member of the Knight Cancer Institute leadership team. He or she will have shared responsibilities with the rest of the leadership team and primary responsibilities for which he or she is responsible and accountable to the Director and the leadership team. The leadership team includes the Knight Cancer Institute Director, Deputy Director, Chief Operating Officer, Sr. Director of Administration, and other Associate Directors.
The duties of this position include:
The Associate Directors shared responsibilities with other members of the Knight leadership team include:
1. Attends Associate Directors meetings, Program Leaders meetings, retreats and other key Knight meetings as appropriate for a senior cancer institute leader. While 100% attendance is not possible, the Associate Director is expected to attend most meetings;
2. Works with the Director and other Knight leaders in periodic review and updating of the institutes mission, vision and values;
3. Works with the Director and other Knight leaders in periodic review, updating and aligning of the institutes strategic initiatives and goals;
4. Works with the Director and other Knight leaders to align basic and translational research initiatives throughout the cancer institute;
5. Work with the Director and other Knight leaders to recruit key faculty members to OHSU and the Knight Cancer Institute;
6. With the Director and others, participates in program development;
7. Participates in CCSG renewals, other major grant requests and accreditation activities;
8. Personally represents, or delegates representation of, the Knight Cancer Institute at various OHSU meetings and in external settings as assigned by the Director and within the Associate Directors available capacity; and
9. Other duties as assigned by the Director and within available capacity of the Associate Director.
The Associate Directors primary responsibilities include:
Essential functions of the position include:
- Leads the development of strategic goals for the growth and development of the clinical research program in support of the overall vision and mission of the Knight Cancer Institute.
- Oversees the implementation of these goals and actively monitors progress toward goals.
- Mentors disease area clinical research leaders and fosters their growth and the growth of their programs.
- Ensures that the Knight meets its clinical trial accrual goals.
- Work collaboratively with Director, Knight Clinical Trials Office in the development of the budget for the Knights clinical research units and oversees the allocation of discretionary resources in the area of clinical research.
- Leads the development of external partnerships and relationships that involve clinical research. Provides leadership for the clinical research components of multi-dimensional relationships with external partners.
- Serves on the Knight Clinical Research Review Committee.
- Provides leadership or nominates and oversees the leadership of other clinical research related committees such as the Knight Data and Safety Monitoring Committee, Knight Resource Allocation Committee and Clinical Research Disease Site Leaders group.
- Promotes close interactions between the basic and clinical scientists in collaboration with other Knight Associate Directors, Program Leaders, and administrative leadership.
- Represents the Knight in clinical research matters throughout OHSU as well as external entities.
- Facilitates and strengthens relationships with the pharmaceutical/biotech industry that have the potential to enhance our clinical research program and commercialization opportunities.
- Participates in National Cancer Center Institute (NCI) visits and conferences for NCI designated cancer center leadership.
- Provides guidance and advice and participates in setting priorities regarding clinical research recruitment opportunities; participates on search committees; interviews candidates; reviews curriculum vitas and provides recommendations. Reviews and provides recommendations on clinical and translational funding applications.
- Participates in fundraising activities.
- Promotes professional conduct and behavior of the highest integrity, exhibiting utmost respect for all members of the OHSU community; demonstrates consistency of action and purpose with unquestionable forthrightness.