COOK - MULTIPLE POSITIONS!
|Req #: ||105978 |
|Department: ||HMC NUTRITION SERVICES |
|Job Location: || Harborview Medical Center |
|Posting Date: ||07/01/2016 |
|Closing Info: || Open Continuous |
|Salary: ||50% - 100% of $2155 - $2845 / Month |
|Union Position: ||Yes |
| || This classification is governed by a negotiated labor contract and is subject to union shop provisions. For more information about union shop provisions, visit Union Information |
|Limited Recruitment: || |
|Shift: ||1st (day), 2nd(evening) |
|Notes: || This posting will be used to fill multiple fulltime (100% FTE) and part time (50%-70% FTE) Cook positions. |
| As the region's only Level I Trauma center, Harborview Medical Center (HMC) is well known for innovations and excellence in trauma care and its centers of emphasis: Trauma, Burn, Neurosciences, AIDS/STD, Center for Advanced Reconstruction and Rehabilitation (CARER), and mentally-and medically- vulnerable populations. In addition to the centers of emphasis, HMC serves a mission population for King County. Harborview employees are committed to the vital role the institution plays in the immediate community, as well as the entire Northwest region. HMC is owned by King County and managed by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW's School of Medicine. The UW is proud to be one of the nation's premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty. |
Our Nutrition Services Department has multiple opportunities for both fulltime (100% FTE) and part time (50%-70% FTE) Cook's . The person in this role will be responsible for promoting excellence in guest relations and support the hospitality model, as well as promoting the mission, vision and values of the UW Medicine Health System.
The Cook is part of the foodservice team providing meal service to patients and customers. The Cook prepares accurate, high quality food for patients to order following standardized recipes and procedures. The Cook has knowledge of food production, equipment operations and food sanitation/safety practices and standards. The Cook creates a congenial and positive environment by carrying out responsibilities in an efficient, friendly, helpful and sensitive manner; The Cook is trained to cover all Cook positions in the department.
KEY DUTIES AND PERFORMANCE STANDARDS:
- Perform routine cleaning duties as assigned
- Participate in other cleaning duties as assigned by supervisors
- Maintains the highest infection control and sanitary standards. Adheres to all health and safety regulations
- Maintains security and safety in work area
- Keeps station and cooking equipment clean following all infection control procedures
- Begins and ends tray assembly including service ware, condiments, hot and cold items as they are finished by Line and Cold Pantry Cooks.
- Identifies product needs and requisitions items required to prepare tray assembly
- Notifies Sous Chef in advance of expected shortages
- Prepares all lunch/dinner orders accurately and efficiently follows food preparation procedures
- Maintains assembly pace in order to meet demands
- Sets up, maintains and breaks down station according to procedures
- Covers, dates and properly stores all leftover products according to procedures
- Works as the Room Service Line, Caf, Expeditor, Breakfast and Cold Pantry Cook as assigned
- Assists with other duties as assigned by the Executive Chef or Sous Chef
Overview of Work Assignments/Stations: All positions are fast-paced, high volume assignment/stations which demand the accurate execution and plating of menu items selected by the patient in less than 15 minutes from the time the ticket is printed. Strong organizational skills, the ability to handle high pressure situations while maintaining a composed positive attitude are performance standards. The position manages production activities, plans and executes continuous preparation of items for the next service period
For detailed information on Benefits for this position click here.
| Possession of, or eligible for, a food handler's permit AND one year of experience as a Food Service Worker; or equivalent education/experience. |
| Education & Experience: High school diploma or GED AND four years of experience in a high volume restaurant or equivalent, providing line cooking to order |
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
Job Related Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, write, and speak English fluently
- Advanced culinary skills
- Knowledge of infection control and sanitation requirements
- Ability to initiate work, tasks, goals independent of supervisor
Registrations, Certifications and/or Licenses:
|CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:|
- Food Handler's Permit at time of hire.
- Successful mastery of therapeutic diet training competencies within 2 months of hire.
- Service Culture Guidelines are part of UW Medicine's Core Competencies and are expected of all UW Medicine's employs regardless of their position at Harborview Medical Center: