The Scanning Technician is a part-time 22.5 hours per week (60%) 3-year fixed-term position. The technician is responsible for digital conversion of non-book materials using in-house equipment, ensuring quality control of those images, performing post-processing work and uploading files and metadata to the Luna image management system. The incumbent works independently within priorities and processes established by Library management. This position is production-oriented and is expected to meet targets of digitizing and uploading 2500 items per year at a minimum.
1. Operation of in-house digital back camera digitization system
Professional handling of rare materials
Evaluating files to determine that scanning has been carried out successfully
Meeting monthly and annual production targets set by Library administrators
2. Post-processing of digital files; upload digitized files and corresponding metadata to Luna:
Post-process files using integrated software
3. Troubleshoot book digitization equipment:
Resolve simple problems; escalate complex problems
- Associates degree and 1-2 years of experience using scanning equipment
- Experience handling rare materials
- Experience using scanning or photography equipment, preferably in a library setting
- Excellent attention to detail
- Confidence working in a production environment while following best practices for rare material handling
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to work independently and cooperatively
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background check and education verification satisfactory to Brown.
Recruiting Start Date:2016-08-01-07:00
Job Posting Title:Scanning Technician - John Carter Brown Library
Department:John Carter Brown Library
Worker Sub-Type:Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Time Type:Part time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:22.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.