HMS Global Maritime is respected internationally for providing marine management services, including overnight cruises, ferry operations, governmental contracts, and consulting. HMS Global Maritime has set the standard for professionalism, business ethics and performance in marine management and consulting services.
HMS Ferries, Inc. seeks a Deckhand for the seasonal Philadelphia RiverLink ferry operation. The Deckhand monitors the river and passengers to ensure safety during ferry operation and/or special events. This position also handles mooring lines to dock or undock the vessel while performing custodial and maintenance tasks as directed. It’s of utmost importance the Deckhand provides a high level of customer service to guests.
Given this seasonal operation is a day-to-day assignment with no rotational assignment, there is no messing and no berthing provided. The operating season is anticipated to last through September or October 2016.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Remain true to and champion the Company’s Core Values and Code of Conduct.
- Safety First – Safety shall remain the highest priority at all times. Be an active advocate of, and participant in, the HMS Safety Culture.
- Consider reliability and efficiency with regard to Company operations.
Safety and Security
- Monitor river, vessel, and passengers to ensure safety during ferry operation.
- Participate in onboard training and routine drills.
- Demonstrate practical knowledge of all phases of shipboard safety procedures and knowledge of location and use of all firefighting and safety equipment (i.e. fire extinguishers, life preservers, work vest).
- Use proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Handle and dispose of all chemicals and other types of hazardous or caustic materials in compliance with Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) (as required).
- Report safety related concerns.
- Handle mooring lines and rigging to launch or dock the boat.
- Assist in boarding and disembarking of passengers.
- Perform assigned tasks within legal requirements of USCG and other regulatory agencies.
- Assist with training of new crew as directed.
- Assist with filling water, bunkering fuel, and shore power connect & disconnect, engine room repairs & maintenance as directed.
- Responsible for getting underway, mooring, anchoring, handling lines, ship’s ramps, and shore side facilities in all weather conditions.
- Perform lookout duties while underway - to include watching for other vessels, monitoring traffic conditions and potential unsafe conditions onboard and otherwise
- Perform cleaning tasks of the vessels & property as required; maintain vessel cleanliness and appearance to the highest standards.
- Perform maintenance and construction tasks as required and in accordance with phased maintenance schedules; assist engineer as directed.
Human Resources (HR)
- Understand the Employee Handbook and adhere to policies, including but not limited to:
- Report to work on time and ready for duty;
- Depart the vessel(s) only when properly relieved;
- Ensure that the proper uniform is worn and grooming standards are met
- Maintain Crew Qualification binder.
- Understand and comply with the Safety Management System (SMS).
- Understand and comply with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Collaborate with other HMS personnel to remain attentive to regulatory requirements and alert to regulatory changes.
- Assist Captain in ensuring compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal safety and environmental regulations.
- Assist Captain in ensuring vessel is in an inspection-ready condition at all times.
- Present professional level of customer service and appearance to all clients, both internal and externally.
- Actively engage passengers to provide outstanding service.
Administration / Financial
- Ensure required administrative forms are completed clearly and accurately.
- Report number and passenger count to Captain on each departure.
- Report all vessel deficiencies to the vessel Master; under the direction of the Senior Deckhand and vessel Master, carry out corrective actions to the maximum extent possible.
- Perform other duties as assigned.