Open date: May 13th, 2016
Next review date: May 30th, 2016
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: August 31st, 2016
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Jr. Specialist: The Hockemeyer lab in the Molecular Cell Biology Department at UC Berkeley seeks a Jr. Specialist. The goal of the Hockemeyer lab is to shed light on the key functions of telomeres and telomerase in tissue homeostasis, tumorigenesis and aging in human stem cell. To investigate these processes we developed the use of site-specific to genetically engineer human stem cells. We looking of a motivated Junior Specialists with and interest in cancer and stem cell research.
- Independent Research: including hES cell passaging and maintenance, virus production, design and production of targeting plasmids and Crispr/Cas9 endonuclease constructs, maintenance of experimental records.
- Telomere length analysis in tissue samples using fluorescent imaging techniques.
- Telomere and telomerase specific assays: including TRAP and TRF assays using radiolabeled nucleotides.
- Animal colony maintenance and genotyping: including, animal breeding, weaning, culling, and genotyping by tissue biopsy and assay by PCR with a standard thermocycler. Additionally, regular record keeping of all animals in the colony, as well as daily recording the body weight and drinking volume of animals involved in behavioral studies, and providing appropriate water volumes to animals on restricted water diets.
- Histology and immunohistochemistry: including animal perfusion, tissue extraction, tissue slicing with a freezing microtome, immunostaining and processing and mounting of fixed and stained tissue slices.
- DNA amplification and purification: including bacterial retransformation, amplification, purification by standard Qiagen kit, and quantification with a spectrophotometer.
- Lab management duties will include ordering, filling reagent requests, coordinating food supplies, and stock keeping. Supervising compliances with all safety and animal regulations, radiation safety.
Minimum/Basic Qualifications Required (By the time of application): Bachelor's degree, or equivalent degree, in Molecular and Cell Biology, Biochemistry, or related field.
Additional Qualifications Required (by start date): The successful candidate will have at least 6 months of laboratory employment. Experience with tissue culture, cloning, genotyping, histology and immunohistochemistry.
Preferred Qualifications (by start date): Excellent communication skills and careful attention to detail.
Appointment: This position reports to Dr. Dirk Hockemeyer. The initial appointment for 1 year with the expectation of extension based on satisfactory performance and availability of funding. The approximate start date of this position will be June 2016.
Salary: $36,984-39,444 at 100% time depending on qualifications. This position provides full benefits.
To Apply: https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF01045
Interested individuals should submit application documents as PDFs, which includes, an updated curriculum vitae, and names with contact information for at least 3-5 individuals who have agreed to provide a reference for this specific position and a cover letter. Letters of reference may be requested of the finalists.
Department Contact: Becca Schatz - email@example.com
This recruitment will remain open until filled.
All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality (http://apo.berkeley.edu/evalltr.html) prior to submitting their letters.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct. The department is interested in candidates who will contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher education through their work.
Updated Curriculum Vitae
3-5 references required (contact information only)Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency