| EOE Statement:|
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, protected veteran, or disability status.
The Sr Computer Specialist will assist in the operation of the Center for High Performance (CHPC) computing cluster. This includes using UNIX operating system expertise to manage the systems that comprise the CHPC computing cluster as well as to support the center's users. Supporting the systems requires monitoring and fixing both software (source code designed by research scientists, as opposed to commercially available desktop software applications) and hardware related issues in the computing cluster. Supporting the users requires diagnosing problems reported by the users such as failed jobs or broken batch scripts, answering questions regarding the clusters operation and software compilation and installation. The candidate will be assisting the manager of the CHPC in all of these capacities.
Support the users of scientific research software. The Sr Computer Specialist will provide support to a user base of over 300 users from dozens of departments including non-traditional HPC fields such as Economics, the Business school and Psychology, as well as traditional HPC fields such as Engineering and Chemistry. Support includes researching in order to provide answers to questions on the clusters operation and working to resolve problems reported by the users. This requires a deep understanding of the queuing system and running scientific software.
Install scientific research software. The Sr Computer Specialistwill assist in the support that the CHPC currently provides for over 70 scientific related software packages, from professionally developed commercial packages to code developed by a single scientists without any formal computer science experience. This support includes:
- Building each package in a way that it will both perform at optimal speed and also produce a scientifically accurate result. This typically involves compiling software from source code using tools such as GNU make and cmake.
- Maintaining multiple versions of many packages to meet the needs of our users.
- In the case of parallel applications, the software needs to be benchmarked to determine optimal configurations.
Hardware maintenance. The Sr Computer Specialist will provide hardware support, including debugging and installation as needed to resolve hardware related issues for the ~200 server class computers as well as some more exotic networking and storage hardware of which the cluster is comprised.
Diagnose and correct system problems. The Sr Computer Specialist will identify, troubleshoot, and debug system-related problems that can be challenging due to complex interactions (e.g. between software and hardware). This sometimes involves more exotic technologies such as the Lustre file system and Infiniband networking.
Document system protocols. The Sr Computer Specialistwill maintain the existing system protocols on an ongoing basis and develop new documentation as needed to ensure new users have clear comprehensive documentation to get started on the cluster.
Perform other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree in either computer science or a science related field. Three or more years experience as a UNIX/Linux systems administrator.
- A strong background in UNIX/Linux system administration is required.
- Experience with scripting languages is required, as users utilize batch scripts to run their jobs and scripts are used extensively to monitor and support the cluster.
- Experience with a programming language such as Fortran or C is a plus.
- Must be focused on providing a positive experience for the end users.
- Ability to manage time, multi-task and effectively prioritize projects to meet timelines.
- Strong work ethic and persistence.
- Highly self-motivated, goal oriented and effective with minimal supervision.
- Ability to use independent thought, judgment and creativity to formulate and implement effective solutions to complex problems.
Software development, research experience, high performance computing, cluster usage
The hiring range for this position is $49,881 - $64,838 annually.
-Retirement Savings Plan
-22 vacation days
-8 Paid Holidays
-Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
-Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
-Free Life Insurance
-Health, Dental, Vision
-Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
-Long Term Disability Insurance
-Flex Spending Plan
Human Resources website (hr.wustl.edu)