The Research Technologist 3 participates in design and execution of research lab projects relating to tissue engineering and regenerative medicine for liver, kidney and heart.
This role conducts experimental tests and procedures and processes and analyzes data. Reviews and revises existing research methodologies. Helps to ensure overall lab compliance with all associated rules and regulations.
- Following overall research objectives, independently designs, plans, conducts and troubleshoots experiments. Evaluate protocols and data obtained from groups of experiments and recommends changes to processes, procedures and techniques to improve quality and validity of results based upon overall project objectives.
- An advanced level in many of the stated skills is required;
- DNA, RNA, Protein isolation, purification and expression;
- Southern, Northern, Western blotting;
- PCR, RT-PCR;
- Cloning, mapping and sequencing of DNA;
- Cellular Biology:
- Cell culture, cell isolation;
- Functional studies;
- Tissue fixation/processing: embedding, preparation of blocks and sectioning, staining;
- Microscopy Immunology:
- Flow cytometry;
- ELISA, Elispot assay;
- Cytokine assay;
- Antibody production and purification
- Blood collection;
- Surgical procedures;
- Database management of colony
- Observe experiments, collect, and record, summarize, analyze and interpret research data; collates relevant mathematical results and prepare complex tables reflecting relationships of multiple tests. Draw scientific conclusions; write portions of grant applications and may co-author scientific papers.
- May negotiate purchases with vendors. May maintain and update portions of grant budgets. May track and summarize lab supply expenses and/or verify accuracy of invoices. May order and/or maintain inventory of reagent, mice and lab supplies.
- Train and direct other lab EEs and students in research techniques and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.