Conducts experimental research lab work and/or assists in design of one or more specific phase(s) of entire project(s). May complete mathematical calculations, and/or computer tasks and/or assist in judging validity of data. Follows appropriate protocols, policies, procedures, regulations, Good Clinical and Good Laboratory Practices.
1. Following protocols, designs, sets-up and conducts basic experiments.
2. Analyzes and troubleshoots protocols and data obtained from individual experiments and recommends alternatives and suggestions to improve processes, validity and/or accuracy.
3. Using a fully functioning level of skill, completes the following activities:
DNA, RNA, Protein isolation, purification and expression Southern, Northern, Western blotting
Cell culture, cell isolation
ELISA, Elispot assay
Breeding and screening transgenic mice
Database management of colony
- Maintains detailed records of results which may include collecting, extracting & entering data.
- Manipulates, interprets &/or presents results.
- Prepares charts & graphs for presentations & publications.
- Performs scientific literature searches in support of research.
- Completes portions of grant applications, manuscripts & publications.
- Tracks & summarizes lab supply expenses.
- Verifies accuracy of invoices.
- Orders &/or maintains inventory of reagent, mice &/or lab supplies.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a scientific major or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated laboratory experience;
- Demonstrated ability to follow detailed instructions as required by research protocols;
- Demonstrated computer skills, including spreadsheets and basic computations;
- Attention to detail and accurate record keeping;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Manual dexterity.
- Basis understanding of accounting principles.
- Supervisory or team leadership experience is desirable.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.