As the Financial Manager of the Northwestern Pritzker School of Law’s Finance Team, this position is responsible for comprehensive management of the Law School’s budget totaling $80 million. This includes managing two direct reports to establish and maintain customer service and internal control standards, providing financial support to over thirty funding units, fostering relationships with key departments and schools within the University, and understanding the operations of individual departments and identifying and analyzing their financial impact. Additionally, this position plays a key role in developing and modifying the Law School’s financial modeling and projections picture for discussion with executive leadership. The manager also oversees the annual budgeting, forecasting, and close process for the Law School.
- Manage the analysis and interpretation of the financial data for executive leadership, including the Dean. Drive continuous improvement to the financial reporting tools and their supporting schedules, including: driver-based modeling projections, income statement, and executive level financial summaries.
- Manage the budgeting, forecasting, and variance analysis process for the Law School to determine and understand the Law School’s overall financial position. Partner with departments to understand operational forecast and reasons for variance to budget.
- Develop, train and motivate two direct reports while holding them accountable for achieving results.
- Manage compliance of the financial processes and systems in accordance with University policies. Maintain internal controls and integrity of financial information throughout the law school.
- Drive completion of the annual fiscal year-end close process.
- Manage law school-wide financial analysis for reporting to external agencies, such as American Bar Association and US News.
- Maintain and build relationships with the University Budget Office and other University schools and departments, as appropriate.
- Additional projects or responsibilities as established by leadership of the law school, as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in Accounting or Finance, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least five years of budget and financial analysis experience.
- Experience developing financial reporting and analysis tools.
- At least two years of management responsibility, including all aspects of management from recruiting to goal setting and performance management.
- Knowledge of financial management or general ledger systems.
- Ability to multi-task and demonstrate attention to detail within a dynamic environment.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with word processing, databases, and spreadsheet applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access).
- Ability to work independently, assess situations quickly, be proactive about identifying and implementing solutions to problems.
- Strong oral/written communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to use sound, independent judgment especially as it relates to workload management and efficiency.
- Ability to drive continuous improvement.
- Financial modeling.
- Strong communication and time management skills to handle multiple requests and deadlines effectively.
- Adept at working collaboratively and cross-functionally.
- Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Results driven initiative, critical-thinking skills, and continuous eye for improvement.
- Strong quantitative skills with advanced proficiency in Excel. Ability to work with large amounts of data and organize in a meaningful format.
- Solid understanding of accounting principles and procedures.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.