Department: Compliance, Diversity and Ethics
IT Accessibility Coordinator
The George Mason University Assistive Technology Initiative (ATI) is seeking a highly motivated and versatile individual for a full-time IT Accessibility Coordinator position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
This position reports directly to the Assistive Technology Initiative Manager. The ATI Office operates under the Office of Compliance, Diversity and Ethics.
- Work with ATI Manager to develop and maintain university guidelines for electronic and information technology (EIT) conformance with requirements specified in Section 508 and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0;
- Work with Architectural Standards Review Board (ASRB) to review software and Web application purchases for accessibility and conformance with accessibility standards and guidelines specified in Section 508 and WCAG 2.0;
- Identify, implement and oversee tools for monitoring Web site accessibility;
- Perform regular accessibility audits of institutional Web sites, Web applications and Web-based documents;
- Collaborate with ITS and Communications and Marketing to develop accessible templates and tools for Web production;
- When applicable, chair the Web Accessibility subcommittees under IT Accessibility Working Group;
- Provide training and technical assistance on Section 508 and WCAG 2.0, as well as the faculty/staff roles and responsibilities in the development of accessible Web-based content;
- Keep current on local, state and federal regulations regarding EIT accessibility for individuals with disabilities;
- Work with ATI/CDE to promote an accessible, inclusive academic environment; and
- Stay up-to-date with training for Microsoft Office, Adobe and assistive technology software applications.
- Master's degree in computer science, instructional technology, information technology, assistive technology, or a related field (preferred); or training and work experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree;
- Demonstrated experience working in Web accessibility, design and development (at least three or more years of experience is strongly desired);
- Experience testing Web sites and software applications for accessibility;
- Knowledge of laws governing EIT accessibility in higher education;
- Experience supporting computer users with disabilities;
- Experience providing training and technical assistance on best practices in Web accessibility, design and development;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience collaborating with a diverse group of people;
- Ability and willingness to learn new technologies quickly; and
- Experience working in team-oriented environments.
- Experience working with assistive technology (i.e., JAWS, NVDA, Dragon NaturallySpeaking, VoiceOver); and
- Experience with project management.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA726z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.