Department: University Police
The George Mason University Police Department seeks applicants for the part-time position of Security Guard. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
- Provide monitoring of university buildings and areas;
- Make sure offices, labs and sensitive areas are kept secure;
- Reporting any problems regarding physical security-related issues such as doors, locks or lighting that are not working properly; or spills, leaks and other hazards that are unsafe to the Mason community; and
- Write incident reports when necessary.
Training provided includes Heartsaver CPR/AED (automatic external defibrillator) certification, proper radio communication procedures, laboratory safety training, and a 12-hour Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services-mandated Campus Security Officer certification training.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Have a command of the English language (i.e., oral and written);
- Required to work on a rotating basis to ensure weekend, evening and overnight coverage;
- Ability to work in both indoor and outdoor environmental conditions;
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time;
- Ability to remain calm during stressful periods; and
- Must have a valid driver's license, with a good driving record preferred.
This position is available on the Fairfax, Va., campus; and will be for 20-25 hours per week. A background investigation is required. Due to the highly sensitive nature and level of physical access given to this position, non-Mason students are highly preferred.
Salary: $12.50 per hour
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number WGA119 at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.