About the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University:
The Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University develops brave leaders who inspire growth in people, organizations and markets. Based just outside of Chicago, the school is a global leader in management education, renowned for its distinctive thought leadership and pioneering approach to learning. Kellogg offers an innovative portfolio of programs: four Full-Time MBA programs including the accelerated One-Year MBA and Two-Year MBA options, and joint degree programs with the engineering and law schools; a Part-Time MBA Program; the premier Executive MBA global network; and extensive non-degree Executive Education programs.
About the Job:
This position develops, codes, tests, and debugs new software or enhancements to existing software applications, databases and Kellogg’s Content Management Systems (CMS). This role leverages his/her knowledge of web application development, content management systems and generally accepted IT planning and development methodologies. This role typically works with senior staff, but may coordinate smaller or less complex projects independently. This role provides expertise on CMS maintenance, enhancement, and usage. This role participates in analysis, design, development, configuration, testing, documentation and support of software systems and content management platforms. This role works with end-users directly to understand and decompose software and CMS requirements. This role demonstrates resourcefulness to quickly design and implement right-sized technical solutions ensuring that business needs and requirements are met on time. This role performs system integration tasks. This role provides estimation for assigned tasks.
Please Note: Occasional evening and weekend work as needed.
- Acts as Subject Matter Expert (SME), and provides development expertise on applications and CMS system Develops plans for software deployment on heterogeneous systems.
- Collaborates with user to develop work flow, user interfaces, data sources and best practices.
- Understands and advises CMS integration with other Kellogg and NU systems.
- Makes recommendations on project feasibility and alternatives as related to system/architectural direction and strategy.
- Partners with user in designing features for technology.
- Evaluates feature/upgrade/change requests and recommends action.
- Responds to customer inquiries via phone, online, in-person, etc.
- Creates and maintains code repository and documentation.
- Evaluates feature/upgrade/change requests and recommends action.
- Participates in interview process for new hires.
- Identifies database and software performance issues, and makes adjustments.
- Researches and develops new algorithms and statistical techniques designed for analyzing data based on customer needs.
- Develops and maintains software, database and CMS infrastructure, via patches, bundles, releases and maintenance packs.
- Codes software and CMS applications and integration solutions adhering to designs supporting internal business requirements or external user.
- Completes tier 3 troubleshooting.
- Designs databases and data structures.
- Prioritizes tasks within project.
- Meets with business analyst/stakeholder to determine requirements.
- Develops templates, tools, and ad-hoc analysis, as needed
- Opens tickets with vendors.
- Grows expertise and skills in relevant IT subject matter, including project planning, development and support methodologies through a combination of on-the-job experience and by attending conferences, training sessions, professional development seminars, and online training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a major such as computer science, information technology, or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Demonstrated experience creating complex web-based Internet or intranet systems using Microsoft .NET development tools including ASP.NET, VB.NET and C#
- Demonstrated experience with a major CMS (Drupal, Sitecore, WordPress, Joomla, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience using Microsoft SQL Server. Complete understanding of the roles played by tables, indexes, triggers, views, functions and procedures.
- Knowledge of web services and Service Oriented Architecture.
- Demonstrated experience creating Sitecore applications and integrations.
- Knowledge of using Microsoft Visual Studio Team System, Team Foundation Server and/or Visual Studio Online.
- Knowledge of Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) and Agile Development methodologies.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong problem solving skills; ability to analyze, troubleshoot and debug effectively.
- Ability to work effectively with non-technical staff.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- Minimum of 3 years of web development using Microsoft .NET technologies (i.e. ASP.NET, VB.NET, C#, HTML, CSS)
- Minimum of 3 years of development experience with SQL Server (DDL, DML), query tuning and developing SSIS packages and SSRS reports.
- At least 2 years of professional web development experience with a CMS like Sitecore, Drupal WordPress etc.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience developing web services and web solutions consuming XML, JSON, RSS feeds etc.
- Successful completion of a full course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a master's or higher degree in Computer Science preferred but not required
- Microsoft Developer certification (MCSE, MCSD, MCSA)
- Sitecore certification.
- Experience with Sitecore DMS and upgrading Sitecore instances.
- Experience with other web development technologies like Ruby, PHP, Python, MySQL etc.
- Experience with enterprise wide education management software systems.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Knowledge of developing native mobile applications for iOS and Android.
- Knowledge of tiered application design patterns like MVC, MVVM etc.
- Knowledge of Windows and SQL scripting (Powershell, vbscript, SQLCMD, command-line etc.)
- Understanding of code configuration management, release management, test-driven development principles.
- Explores alternatives to existing products and services; identifies opportunities to improve procedures and practices; shows imagination.
- Ability to move an idea forward with minimal or constrained resources, bandwidth, supervision and support; ability to develop right-sized solutions within any given constraints.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.