Sonoma State University
Job Title: Facilities Operations Manager (Administrator II)
Department Name: Facilities Management
Job ID: 104184
Salary and Benefits
The salary for this position will depend on qualifications and experience.
This position is eligible for a broad range of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances, retirement (CalPERS), tuition waiver, vacation and sick leave. In addition, 14 paid holidays are offered each year; 13 scheduled on specific days and a Personal Holiday that may be taken any time during the year.
A comprehensive benefits summary for this position is available online by clicking the View Benefits Summary link or by request from SSU Human Resources.
First review of applications will be at 8 am on July 5, 2016. Applications received on or after the first review date may not be considered.
Conditions of Employment
This position is a member of the Management Personnel Plan and serves at the pleasure of the President.
Under general direction from the Director of Operations and Engineering, the Facilities Operations Manager (FOM) will oversee the maintenance and upkeep of the Sonoma State Main Campus to provide a safe, fully functional, aesthetically pleasing environment in all areas.
Working in partnership with the Facilities Management management team, the FOM will provide the leadership necessary to coordinate the ongoing building and grounds maintenance, and other projects as required in the campus community. The incumbent will serve as the primary liaison in all matters pertaining to new facility design, project management and operational requirements.
The FOM will be responsible for scheduling and tracking weekly routine inspections of the main campus and grounds, identifying any repair and replacement issues, and putting work order requests in for the completion of those items. S/he will ensure work orders get completed in a timely manner by coordinating staff and providing appropriate resources. The FOM will coordinate with the Housing Operation Manager, Director of Operations and Engineering, Director of Seawolf Services and the Work Control Administrator to ensure tracking of maintenance work orders, 'open and closed', and develop a system to ensure quality control is achieved. The FOM ensures that proper procedures and documentation practices are in place and in practice by the Facilities department with special focus given to fire/life safety programs and testing protocols. This includes, but is not limited to, scheduling inspections with the State Fire Marshal and staff, training and resource allocations in support of fire/life safety training requirements, these initiatives will include facility inspections, and emergency protocols. S/he establishes and maintains regular contact and communications with Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) to ensure good practices and up to date training. The FOM is responsible for ensuring Hazardous Materials are properly handled and stored and establishes and maintains regular contact with University Police regarding the campus emergency plan. The FOM is also responsible for ensuring that any new California State University (CSU) system, California and federal regulations and/or guidelines are integrated with department policies and practices; serving on the campus safety and ADA committees; and providing regular updates to the Housing Operation Manager and/or the Director of Operations and Engineering.
The FOM will assist the Housing Operation Manager as needed with the bi-annual turnover of the Residential Community. This annual facilities effort includes the following: plans, executes, and follows-through with turnover of the dormitories when vacated by residents in a short period of time. This includes, but is not limited to, complete long range planning coordination effort for the 'Summer Turnaround' and fall semester move-in, creating a schedule, coordinating with various campus groups, trades and non-trades personnel, and third party vendors on delivering completed residential dormitories and suites, recruiting temporary staff and students, ensure availability of material resources, inspect dormitories, identify potential impacts and proactively address them, troubleshoot issues in the field as required). S/he also assists in the move-out and the move-in of residents.
The FOM has a vital role in main campus maintenance strategic planning. The incumbent works closely with the Director of Planning on all aspects of short and long term schedule for preventative, corrective, deferred, and emergency maintenance and repair, including tracking, monitoring life cycle and associated costs. The FOM is responsible for coordination and management of multiple year round construction projects with competing goals in the main campus areas and ensures that projects are delivered on time, within budget and concludes with expected results. The incumbent is to identify and assist in resolving project issues effectively and in a timely manner, serving as an advocate for stakeholders acting as project manager and inspector of projects. S/he creates project schedule(s) with minimal impact to the residents and campus community and is responsible for construction administration and ensuring that all projects comply with the California State University Administrative Manual, California Building Code, American Disabilities Act, Title 24, Public Contracts Code, California Code of Regulations, Title 8, Title 17, Title 19, California Environmental Quality Act, Regional Water Quality Control Board and local County Health. The incumbent works closely with Associate Vice President, Facilities Operations and Planning, Director of Planning, and University Contracts and Procurement office to strategize best project delivery method and will create and coordinate projects from planning phase through construction completion.
The FOM also assists the Housing Operation Manager in coordinating and managing multiple budgets including, but not limited to, the facilities operation budget, deferred building and maintenance emergency repair budget. S/he will continually update deferred maintenance, preventative maintenance, and major and minor capital outlay project lists and be held accountable for tracking and forecast planning. The incumbent initiates requests to solicit potential projects from staff throughout the campus, working in partnership with senior facilities management to prioritize projects for current year funding and future year planning. S/he establishes methods to develop and update five and ten year projection documents that will provide a foundation for planning. S/he will provide daily oversight of operating expenses and manage and develop financial strategies to maximize resources to meet operation needs. The FOM will gather and analyze information and formulate recommendations and is responsible for ensuring financial policies and procedures are in accordance with State of California, CSU Trustees, and university policies.
The FOM performs other secondary duties as assigned and will be expected to participate and provide input as a member of the Campus Safety Committee, the Emergency Preparedness Committees and Conferences and Events group. S/he will meet with any of the main campus organizations that may need concerns addressed or identified and act as the back-up in absence of the Housing Operations Manager, and/or the Student Center Facilities Operations Manager. The FOM also assists in the setup and tear down of the University's Commencement event and is available throughout the event to perform a variety of tasks as needed.
Typical work environment includes performing work both inside and outside, under various types of weather, on the Sonoma State University campus and will include climbing ladders, walking up and down stairs, working in conditions that are wet, as well as hot or cold, and may also include work in confined spaces for periods of time. As an exempt employee you have some flexibility in your schedule however must be available during the regular campus hours, as well as evenings and weekends to meet the operational needs of the campus and department. This includes working the University's commencement day which is scheduled for a Saturday in May. The incumbent is also expected to be available to respond to after-hour emergencies as a member of the Facilities Management team and must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such levels as is determined by the Appropriate Administrator. This position may require travel, by automobile or airplane, and overnight stay to travel to trainings and meetings off campus.
A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, or equivalent combination of education and experience to provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position as described above, is required. The incumbent should possess five years of progressive management experience in facilities operations field to demonstrate a sound understanding of facilities maintenance practices, including progressively responsible administrative experience in, but not limited to, the following areas: implementation and enforcement of administrative program and information systems, foundational knowledge of public administration principles, practices, methods, study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development of improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices or programs; knowledge in standard accounting/finance practices including analyzing data using business mathematics and basic statistical techniques and personnel management. This position also requires a minimum of three years of project management experience, including construction administration experience, to demonstrate sufficient knowledge and understanding of project management principles and methodologies including long range planning. Experience with public works construction and/or experience working in an educational environment is preferred.
In addition, the incumbent:
- Must possess working knowledge of building systems including HVAC, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, roofing, appliances, painting, and building locking systems.
- Must have an understanding of policies and procedures related to the purchase of commodities and services, securing outside vendors, provisions for bid contracts and the responsibilities of a University inspector.
- Must be able to read and interpret blueprints and possess fundamental principles of building erection and tenant improvements.
- Must demonstrate knowledge and experience in safety and fire life safety and be able to survey the main campus and follow up on outstanding issues with Fire Life Safety, Safety, or normal work orders.
- Must have the ability to supervise and motivate staff, this includes various trades' personnel covered by a collective bargaining contract and coordinating with non-trades personnel to closely adhere to all conditions of those agreements.
- Must be proficient in word processing and spreadsheet functions utilizing conventional programs (MS Word, Excel) and other software for personal productivity (e.g. Microsoft Project); drafting and/or AutoCad skills and experience with work control systems (e.g. AiM, FAMIS, MAXIMUS, etc.) preferred.
- Must demonstrate excellent customer service and interpersonal skills and experience working with vendors and contractors.
- Must possess and demonstrate effective communication in both written and verbal form and be able to professionally interact with a diverse workforce, campus community, and the public.
- Must be adaptable, self-motivated, self-starter, and have proven negotiation skills.
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal conflict resolution skills and maintain a positive outlook and effective working relationships.
- Must possess sound judgement and excellent analytic, problem-solving, root-cause identification skills.
- Must possess experience and knowledge in business process and ability to identify opportunities for improvement using detailed data analysis skills.
- Must possess the ability to manage a departmental budget and project budget.
- Must possess the ability to interpret, communicate, and apply policies and procedures and adapt to organizational, procedural, and policy changes.
- Must demonstrate experience and ability to successfully manage several projects simultaneously with positive results taking into consideration the facilities being occupied during the academic year and busy summer conference schedule.
- Must be well organized and possess excellent time management skills to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects with competing goals to schedule and prioritize work under tight timelines and assign staff and supplies to accomplish a large volume of work.
- Ability to understand complex problems and develop strategies and recommendations for the departments and university.
- Based on operational need, must be available 7-days/week to address and attend to any main campus or campus issue, including those that occur off-hours.
- Valid California driver's license is required.
The duties of this position may include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate may be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter.
Evidence of degree(s) or certificate(s) and/or license(s) required at time of hire.
Click the "Apply Now" to apply to this position. Materials submitted with your application will not be returned. The ADA Coordinator is available, at 707/664-2664, to assist individuals with disabilities in need of accommodation during the hiring process.
Qualified candidates must submit the following to be considered:
1. Cover Letter (attach as first page of resume)
3. Online Employment Application (complete entire application, resume/cover letter will not substitute for any part of the application)
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current employees who apply for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
Mandated Reporting: This position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
About Sonoma State University
Sonoma State University, located 48 miles north of San Francisco, is one of the 23 campuses of the California State University. Sonoma State University is a liberal arts institution with an enrollment of approximately 10,000 students and 530 full-time and part-time faculty. Our beautiful campus is located in Rohnert Park, at the foot of the Sonoma hills in the Wine Country.
Sonoma State University is proud to be a smoke-free campus, where smoking and other uses of tobacco products, such as smokeless tobacco, the use of e-cigarettes and similar devices, are prohibited.
Sonoma State University's Jeanne Clery Act Annual Security Report is available at http://www.sonoma.edu/ps/about/jeanneclery.html; Annual Campus Housing Fire Safety Report is available at http://www.sonoma.edu/housing/general-info/emergency-prep/fire-safety.html.
Sonoma State University
Main (707) 664-3100
Fax (707) 664-3196
1801 East Cotati Avenue
Rohnert Park, CA 94928
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency