The Data Architect is responsible for developing information architectures and complex data models, and approves the modification, and new implementation of database systems. This individual works closely with end users and IT development staff to ensure that new and existing data models and databases are consistent with approved data architecture standards. The Data Architect must have expert level knowledge and experience in data modeling and database design.
This Data Architect Position is one member of the Enterprise Data Warehouse Team located in the NUCATS Institute. Its mission is to create a single, comprehensive, and integrated repository of all clinical and research data sources on the campus to facilitate research, clinical quality, healthcare operations, and medical education. This position will be located primarily on the Northwestern Campus in Chicago, but will also be expected to be in Oakbrook 2 days per week.
- Provide analysis, design, training, maintenance, tuning, documentation, and implementation of enterprise class logical data models and physical database objects
- Work with clients, business analysts, technical staff, and project team members to plan, design, develop, implement, and enhance applications, scripts, procedures, and metadata for relational databases.
- Create maintainable, scalable “Extract, Transform, and Load” (ETL) code to load and manipulate data in the data warehouse.
- Ensure the quality, completeness, security, privacy, and integrity of data throughout the data lifecycle.
- Define and promote best practices and standards for information architecture and management.
- Serve as a key contributor in the research, evaluation, and procurement of appropriate database technologies and related tools.
- Work collaboratively with clinical program analytical and data management teams to develop analytical tools to manage/measure care processes, models, and clinical guidelines.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in computer science or equivalent with two to four years in a senior database analyst or architect position; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated success applying best practice performance tuning technologies and techniques to both database structures, as well as database queries and procedures.
- Understanding and experience in applying project management principles and best practices for development or procurement projects.
- Demonstrated understanding and successful application of proven database design principles such as: requirements analysis, data normalization, data modeling, risk management and quality assurance and for both On-line Transaction Processing (OLTP) and On-line Analytical Processes (OLAP) database systems.
- Possess a thorough understanding of: Business Intelligence/query and reporting tools and technologies, Structured Query Language (SQL), Procedural programming fundamentals.
- Comfortable and confident filling the facilitation role of design and analysis team meetings.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Must have the ability to manage multiple projects and requests at one time.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills; must speak well in small groups and in other contexts, write precise, well-organized emails, letters and proposals while using appropriate vocabulary and grammar.
- Experience with Healthcare Data Warehousing.
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008/2012.
- Possess knowledge of quality improvement principles, theory, study design and statistical modeling/analysis.
- Possess an understanding of healthcare delivery and its associated administrative processes.
- Experience with current Extraction Transformation and Loading (ETL) tools and technologies.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.