Department: University Police
The George Mason University Police Department seeks applicants for the part-time position of Assistant Locksmith. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
This position will provide assistance to the George Mason Police Department's Key Control Services unit in maintaining the security and integrity of the university key and lock systems, and compliance with the university key control policy and procedures.
- Providing excellent customer service to our customers;
- Issuing and retrieving keys;
- Answering phones;
- Database and paperwork record-keeping, filing and computer use;
- Locksmith work that includes cutting keys, working with BEST cores, installing locks, troubleshooting lock and key systems, and helping to generate and install master key systems in new construction and renovations;
- Occasional duties include supporting police operations and working with electronic access control systems for both networked and stand-alone locks; and
- Work on special projects as assigned.
- Must have a valid driver’s license;
- Mechanical ability and computer skills highly preferred;
- Desired applicants will have demonstrated interpersonal skills, communications skills, and ability to positively interact with a diverse university population; and
- Training will be provided on all necessary duties of this position, but candidate must demonstrate ability to work well independently after initial training.
This position is available on the Fairfax, Va., campus and will be for 20-25 hours per week. The work hours for this position would be between 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. This position will require some travel between the three Mason campuses (Fairfax, Arlington and Prince William).
An in-depth background investigation is required.
Due to the highly sensitive nature and level of physical access given to this position, non-Mason students are highly preferred.
Salary: $12.75 per hour
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number WGA119 at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.