Requisition ID: P01469803
Department: Information Technology Services
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: University Park Campus
We are currently seeking a Senior Windows Systems Administrator to join our Enterprise Platform Support department within Information Technology Services. The Senior Windows Systems Administrator will work with the ITS teams to implement, deploy and maintain the OS and middleware infrastructure for platforms such as virtualization (VMware), virtual desktop and application delivery, Active Directory (AD), cloud platforms (Azure, AWS), Windows confirmation management and deployment, and application deployment through automated continuous integration and containerized delivery (Docker).
Information Technology Services (ITS) is committed to providing information technology (IT) solutions to support the schools and research and administrative units at the university. ITS provides essential university-wide services in the areas of information technology and operations, including the wired and wireless networks, systems security, and telephone services; technology-enhanced learning, including multimedia classrooms and USC computing labs; enterprise information systems, including email and the Kuali Financial System; high-performance computing; and IT support for the USC Shoah Foundation Institute.
- Must have a Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in System Administration
- A minumum of 5 years of experience with Active Directory, Azure directory, and ADFS.
- Experience with Windows, SCCM, WMI and desktop imaging technologies.
- Experience with OS and middleware management, orchestration and delivery.
- Experience with Virtualization (VMware VSphere, Horizon View, Open Stack, and Hyper-V).
- Knowledge to build, configure, load and restore a system from the ground up.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- 8 years of progressive experience in System Administration
- Experience with Cloud platforms (AWS and Azure).
- Experience with agile deployment and containers (Jenkins, Docker).
- Familiarity working with ITIL Service Management practices.
- Experience with automation technologies (Systems Center, chef, etc.)
- Knowledge of security and group policy object management
- Knowledge of Microsoft Identify management (FIM, MIM, Meta-directories)
- Ability to communicate well with technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in collaborative, cross-functional and inter-institutional teams.
- Produces enterprise-level designs for initiatives and follow through to implementation, documentation and handoff, in collaboration with project and support teams.
- Researches and deploys open source and commercial software into the ITS enterprise middleware environment.
- Collaborates with colleagues and stays on top of relevant technologies and next generation solutions.
- Provides top-level skill and expertise in relevant technologies. Can train colleagues on best practices.
- Identifies opportunities to innovate, extend and enhance service delivery wherever possible.
- Demonstrable capability and facility with creating and maintaining excellent and detailed technical documentation for appropriate troubleshooting and recovery.
- Performs system monitoring, verifies integrity and availability of all systems, servers, key processes, and resources reviews system and application logs, and verifies success of scheduled jobs. Possesses excellent troubleshooting skills, analyzing for root cause and with an eye for improving existing processes, solutions and documentation.
- Provides analytical and technical expertise on system integration, installation, replacement and upgrades of servers and operating systems.
- Oversees, maintains and administers computer networks and related computing environments, including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
- Monitors systems, servers and auxiliary devices for performance and security.
- Determines whether adjustments need to be made and confers with technical support staff and vendors as appropriate. Identifies changes that need to be made in the future.
- Leads troubleshooting; identifies hardware and software problems in a timely manner; resolves routine problems, replaces defective components and researches resources to identify solutions.
- Coordinates data backups, disaster recovery operations, repairs and/or recovery of systems.
- Serves as a project leader for the customization and maintenance of a complex multi-platform system configuration.
- Recommends changes to improve systems and network configurations, and determines hardware or software requirements related to such changes
- Provides leadership, guidance and direction to lower level staff.
- Designs, configures, and tests computer hardware, networking software and operating system software.
- evelops and maintains appropriate system documentation. Formulates standards for system management.
- Work with vendors to maintain appropriate level of support.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
Bachelor’s degree Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Field of Expertise:
Expert understanding and strong technical knowledge of and experience with systems administration, backups, operating systems programming languages and associated hardware platforms. Possesses the required knowledge to build, configure, load and restore a system from the ground up. Previous systems administration experience required.