| Rowan University is a comprehensive state-designated research institution with approximately 16,000 students. Its main campus is located in Glassboro, N.J., 20-miles southeast of Philadelphia, and it has a branch campus and medical school in Camden and a second medical school in nearby Stratford. Rowan is one of two universities in the country to offer M.D. and D.O. medical-degree programs. The School of Osteopathic Medicine has a faculty practice plan that serves approximately 200,000 patients throughout Southern New Jersey. The institution is also home to the South Jersey Technology Park, which fosters the translation of applied research into commercial products and processes. The University boasts seven colleges--William G. Rohrer College of Business, Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering and colleges of Communications and Creative Arts, Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, Performing Arts, and Science and Mathematics. Rowan has been recognized as one of the Top 100 public universities in the nation and is ranked 3rd among public institutions in the North by US News & World Report. |
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Obtains accurate and complete registration of all patients for services by; interviewing the patient and/or family, in person and/or by telephone, to collect demographic and insurance data.
2. Documents the obtained demographic and insurance information in the automated registration system.
3. Reschedules patient appointments in IDX if directed by the Department. Reviews and ensures the accuracy of patient information.
4. Retrieves referrals and identifies referrals and eligibility of patients.
5. Greets patients in a friendly manner and assists with directions to other areas in facility.
6. Faxes outgoing documents and retrieves incoming documents for billing and clinical departments.
7. Responsible for understanding details of Fee for Service and Managed Care insurance requirements.
8. Responsible for providing customer service in conjunction with patients, employees, and third party carriers.
9. Confirms eligibility of patients through WebMD and NaviNet. If necessary, calls insurance to confirm eligibility.
10. Responsible for confirming patient appointments based on IDX Patient Scheduling reports as identified by the clinical departments.
11, Uses professional, efficient and effective communication skills with patients, families, medical/dental staff, other departments, and the public.
12. Refers patient and/or family to appropriate are (i.e financial counseling, social services, clinical services) when necessary.
13. Performs receptionist functions by answering the telephone using proper telephone answering techniques, receiving patients and providing direction.
14.Performs within specified standards for productivity, accuracy and attendance.
15. Maintains a standardized work station and reference manuals to not only promote efficiency with the scheduling of patients, but also to promote effective patient relations.
16. Promotes organizational values of patient and visitor satisfaction by demonstrating courtesy and respect for patients and their families, visitors and other employees.
17. Routinely uses customer service oriented judgment in dealing with he public.
18. All patient information should be considered confidential and must be protected in a responsible and professional manner at all times.
19. Responsible for recording all patient demographics and insurance data accurately into the computer system.
20. Performs follow-up with insurance companies, as necessary, on issues concerning eligibility and claims address.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Two (2) years of progressively responsible clerical experience required, preferably in a physician's office or other medical setting. Prior experience accessing and retrieving information from a computer database required. Familiarity with billing and collections software preferred. Prior experience in billing and collections or other business oriented processes preferred. Familiarity with medical terminology desirable. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions required. Strong oral and written communications skills required. Ability to work in a stressful environment while maintaining a professional demeanor and customer service orientation required. Experience with IDXtend preferred.
Please be advised that some positions are subject to the residency requirements of the NJ First Act (N.J.S.A. 52:14-7, P.L. 2011, Chapter 70). Any person hired into identified positions shall either have their principal residence in New Jersey or they have one year from the date of employment to establish, and then maintain, principal residence in the State of New Jersey. The law also provides that any person may petition a State committee for an exemption from the requirements based on critical need or hardship.
Rowan University values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
All positions are contingent upon budget appropriations.
The Stratford, NJ Campus is a Tobacco-Free Workplace.