This position develops, codes, tests, and debugs new software or enhancements to existing software. The Developer typically works with senior staff, but may coordinate smaller or less complex projects independently. This role designs and implements basic technical solutions ensuring that business needs and requirements are met. The Developer performs basic system integration tasks. This position provides estimation for assigned tasks.
This position develops and support front-end systems, UI/UX, run on public cloud services for synthetic presentations through direct technical support application development. The Developer manages, maintains and updates web services including public-facing sites, blogs, intranets, and web-publishing platforms web mobile and native apps. This position develops sites using content management systems. The Developer directs software authoring tools.
- Participates in the development of new goals and strategies based on interactions with primary user.
- Develops plans for software deployment on heterogeneous systems.
- Collaborates with user to develop work flow and best practices.
- Partners with user in designing features for technology.
- Supports Research and Pedagogy development for all types of client delivery, especially mobile presentation.
- Responds to customer inquiries via phone, online, in-person, etc.
- Creates and maintains code documentation.
- Grants system access to new user.
- Evaluates feature/upgrade/change requests and recommends action.
- Participates in interview process for new hires.
- Identifies database and software performance issues, and makes adjustments.
- Researches and develops new algorithms and statistical techniques designed for analyzing data based on customer needs.
- Develops front-end systems and mobility based projects using contemporary programming and scripting languages.
- Develops interface and media for network based delivery.
- Develops and maintains software infrastructure, via patches, bundles, releases and maintenance packs.
- Codes software applications adhering to designs supporting internal business requirements or external user.
- Completes tier 3 troubleshooting.
- Designs databases and data structures.
- Prioritizes tasks within project.
- Meets with business analyst/stakeholder to determine requirements.
- Opens tickets with vendors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 2 years of relevant experience.
- Excellent and oral communications.
- Familiarity with the Drupal API and module development.
- Bachelor’s degree in interactive media and web technologies, or related technical digital media field.
- One year of experience (Internship, work study or other training work as an application developer.
- New Media related discipline.
- Interest in User Interface, User Experience and Developer Experience. Responsive Web Design best practices.
- Familiarity with production and consuming REST-ful Web Services and 3rd party APIs
- DevOps experience with the LAMP stack.
- Agile project management methodology.
- Understanding of basic HTML5 markup and best practices for accessibility.
- Automated Testing with TDD or BDD. PHP-Unit and front-end with Jasmine or similar tools.
- Cursory experience with AngularJS and PhoneGap.
- Mobile development AngularJS, PhoneGap.
- Graduate level degree in interactive and web technologies.
- Demonstrated experience with managed web services from AWS.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.