| EOE Statement:|
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location:
This position is in the Siteman Cancer Center. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
Responsible for participating with a board-certified clinical geneticist or physician with experience in cancer genetics in the delivery of genetic risk assessment and genetic counseling services.
The Siteman Cancer Center is also recruiting a Director for the Genetic Medicine Program (GMP) to be a leading advocate and partner to expand the Genetic Medicine Program.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Elicits individual and family histories and information regarding the psychological and socio-economic status of the family.
2. Reviews with the family and clinical geneticist the diagnosis, prognosis and treatment planned.
3. Transmits pertinent information about genetic risks and mechanism.
4. Assists the family in assimilating the genetic information and adjusting to its implications.
5. Implements the treatment plan and makes appropriate referrals to medical, nursing, social work and psychological services.
6. Provides follow-up support to patients and their families.
7. Summarizes findings for patients and referring physicians.
8. Participates in the education of parents, community groups, physicians, medical professionals, agencies staff and students regarding human genetics.
9. Facilitates provision of services including intake and clinic organization.
10. Assists in the development and implementation of ongoing clinical investigations in genetics.
Master’s degree from an accredited Genetic Counseling Program.
REQUIRED LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Must be board certified in genetic counseling by the either the American Board of Medical Genetics (ABMG) or the American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC) or eligible to obtain certification within a year of graduation.
Ph.D. level education in genetics, social work, public health, nursing or related field. Currently certified as Genetic Counselor. Competent in interviewing and counseling techniques to elicit from patients or family the information necessary to reach appropriate conclusion. Knowledge of genetic and mathematics principles to understand the limitations, interpretations and significance of specialized laboratory and genetic procedures. Ability to anticipate areas of difficulty and conflict; to help families and individuals recognize and cope with their emotional and psychological needs; to recognize situations requiring referral and to transmit pertinent information effectively.
Offers made for this position are contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment screens, including a criminal background check, hair sample drug screen, and verification of required professional licenses, registrations, or certifications.
The hiring range for this position is commensurate with education and experience.
-Retirement Savings Plan
-22 vacation days
-8 Paid Holidays
-Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
-Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
-Free Life Insurance
-Health, Dental, Vision
-Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
-Long Term Disability Insurance
-Flex Spending Plan
Med School HR website (medschoolhr.wustl.edu)
Internal Applicant Instruction:
This position is grade C12.
Please attach a copy of your most current signed performance evaluation (completed within the last 18 months) to your online account. If you have not received a performance evaluation, you may provide two current signed letters of recommendation (written within the last 18 months), preferably to include one letter from either a current or recent former supervisor. To attach these documents, go to: My Career Tools, Add Attachment, Attachment Type – Performance Reviews or Letters of Recommendation.