Sonoma State University
Job Title: Painters (summer temp) - UPDATED
Department Name: Operations and Engineering
Job ID: 104135
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $4,575 to $5,846 a month. Starting salary placement will not exceed the minimum of the range. Upon appointment, employees with 0.75 or greater time base, but do not meet other criteria for full benefits, will be eligible for medical coverage under the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The same type of coverage will be offered to hourly intermittent employees, who work an average of 130 hours or more per month, after an evaluation period defined by the ACA.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the positions are filled.
Conditions of Employment
This is a full time, temporary, non-exempt position scheduled from mid-May to mid-August. Reappointment to this position is dependent upon the individual's performance as well as administrative and budgetary considerations. The university reserves the right to terminate this appointment earlier than the scheduled expiration date.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Operations and Engineering and reporting to the Housing Operations Manager, the Painter will perform a full range of skilled work in the painting, finishing, and maintaining of a wide variety of interior and exterior surfaces and structures, primarily throughout the Student Housing Villages.
The Painter will plan and coordinate painting work with the other trades in remodeling and other projects; advise in the selection, ordering, and storage of paint and equipment; prepare orders for materials and estimate jobs; perform skilled work in painting and refinishing all commonly used surfaces; mix paints and stains to specified colors; clean and maintains brushes, rollers, and equipment, streets, walkways, and parking lots; tape and texture gypsum walls; apply waterproofing to building exteriors; erect scaffolding for painting projects; inspect completed work for conformance with specifications, requirements, and compliance with applicable building and safety codes and regulations; maintain records and make reports of work progress and completion; maintain a safe and clean work environment; and ensure that safety equipment is available and that safety procedures are observed.
The Painter works with a diverse population and workforce and must be service oriented and fiscally responsible. The incumbent must have the ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships; work effectively both independently and as part of a team; prioritize and perform all work efficiently and effectively; and provide strong customer service to students, staff, faculty, and campus visitors. Incumbent schedules time off to ensure the University's needs are met and appropriate coverage is addressed during personal time off.
Performs other secondary duties as assigned.
Work will be performed both inside and outside campus buildings on the Sonoma State University campus, in periods of inclement or hot weather. Incumbent must expect to work occasionally in confined spaces and in marginally illuminated areas. Work may involve exposure to hazardous materials such as paint thinners, lead, and asbestos and paint fumes. The regular work schedule for the position will be Monday through Friday, but may also on occasion include evenings, weekends, early mornings, holidays, and other non-standard times based on operational needs of the department and campus. The incumbent must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such levels as is determined by the Appropriate Administrator.
- Experience as a journey level painter and any combination of progressively responsible training and experience as a painter which demonstrates achievement of a journey level of skill equivalent to that acquired through completion of a painter's apprenticeship program, 1 year experience strongly preferred;
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of the primary colors and principles of pigment combinations;
- Must be able to mix paints and finishes and match colors;
- Must be able to apply paints and finishes neatly and accurately;
- Must have ability to brush and spray paint neatly and accurately;
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in painting, finishing, and texturing;
- Must have ability to determine and estimate material and equipment needs to complete tasks/jobs/responsibility in an efficient and effective manner;
- Must have ability to read, interpret, and work from blueprints, plans, drawings, and specifications;
- Must be able to make rough sketches, estimate cost, time and materials of painting work;
- Must possess ability to prioritize and perform work effectively; and the ability to meet deadlines;
- Must provide outstanding customer service to a diverse population; students, staff, faculty, patrons, and visitors of the university;
- Must be committed to high standards of safety and possess a thorough knowledge of the applicable state codes and regulations, including Safety Orders of the Division of Industrial Safety of the State of California;
- Must be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all university safety policies and rules;
- Must work in a safe manner when handling and working with chemicals and operating equipment;
- Must be willing to report safety violations and potentially unsafe conditions to management;
- Must be able to erect and paint from ladders, scaffolding, and rigging;
- Must possess a general knowledge of related environmental issues;
- Must be able to provide instruction to unskilled and semi-skilled assistants;
- Must possess physical ability to stand for long periods of time, work on ladders and scaffolding, stand and walk, reach with hands and arms, climb and balance, crouch, and lift up to 50 pounds;
- Must possess effective oral and written communications skills and determine appropriate communication methods when expressing idea and thoughts;
- Must read and write at a level appropriate to the position and perform arithmetic calculations as required by the position;
- Must follow oral and written directions;
- Must have ability to analyze situations and take appropriate action, exercising sound judgment;
- Must possess stress management skills to complete work in a timely manner and meet productivity standards;
- Must have ability to make timely decisions appropriate to level of responsibility and be able to clearly explain reasoning for decisions, in addition to including appropriate people in decision making process;
- Must be able to accept criticism and feedback and incorporate into work;
- Must have ability to perform day-to-day responsibilities with little or no direction;
- Must have ability to work in a fast paced environment and still be thorough in work;
- Must have ability to work independently and within the framework of a team, accepting his/her role as required;
- Must have ability to work cooperatively in group situations and work actively to resolve conflicts;
- Must establish and maintain positive outlook and cooperative working relationships by encouraging open communication, maintain objectivity, and keep emotions under control;
- Must have the ability to self-evaluate and make improvements or promote quality of work;
- Must maintain regular and acceptable punctuality and attendance, adhering to defined work hours;
- Must successfully complete a pre-placement exam;
- Must possess a California Driver's License valid for the operation of any vehicle or equipment required to maintain and operate.
Evidence of degree(s) or certificate(s) and/or license(s) required at time of hire.
Requires successful completion of a pre-placement physical exam.
Click the "Apply Now" to apply to this position. Materials submitted with your application will not be returned. The ADA Coordinator is available, at 707/664-2664, to assist individuals with disabilities in need of accommodation during the hiring process.
Qualified candidates must submit the following to be considered:
2. Online Employment Application (complete entire application, resume/cover letter will not substitute for any part of the application)
Cover letter is optional. To submit, attach as first page of resume.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current employees who apply for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
Mandated Reporting: This position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
About Sonoma State University
Sonoma State University, located 48 miles north of San Francisco, is one of the 23 campuses of the California State University. Sonoma State University is a liberal arts institution with an enrollment of approximately 10,000 students and 530 full-time and part-time faculty. Our beautiful campus is located in Rohnert Park, at the foot of the Sonoma hills in the Wine Country.
Sonoma State University is proud to be a smoke-free campus, where smoking and other uses of tobacco products, such as smokeless tobacco, the use of e-cigarettes and similar devices, are prohibited.
Sonoma State University's Jeanne Clery Act Annual Security Report is available at http://www.sonoma.edu/ps/about/jeanneclery.html; Annual Campus Housing Fire Safety Report is available at http://www.sonoma.edu/housing/general-info/emergency-prep/fire-safety.html.
Sonoma State University
Main (707) 664-3100
Fax (707) 664-3196
1801 East Cotati Avenue
Rohnert Park, CA 94928
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency