Term Instructor/Term Assistant Professor of Humanities
The George Mason University Office of the Provost seeks applicants for a nine-month, one-year renewable Term Instructor/Term Assistant Professor to teach humanities courses beginning Fall 2016. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
This position is aligned with the INTO Mason organization, and will report to the Academic Director and the Undergraduate or Graduate Pathways Program Coordinator (for administrative duties, if applicable).
This full-time, benefited position has a 4:4 course load. The primary instructional load will be assigned to teach one or more of the following courses:
- Introduction to Graduate Study courses (PROV 501, 502 and 504)—graduate-level transition courses offered in the Graduate International Pathways Program; and
- Transition INTO Mason (UNIV 140/141), American Cultures (PROV 105), and Introduction to Research Methods (PROV 106)—undergraduate-level Mason core and humanities courses offered in the Undergraduate International Pathways Program.
The majority of the position will be instructional in nature. Candidates with the appropriate academic leadership experience may also be given a course release for significant curriculum coordination, leadership and administrative responsibilities associated with the undergraduate humanities courses/programs or graduate transition courses/programs. Additional responsibilities will include service-related requirements.
- Must have a master's degree in a related field to qualify for undergraduate instruction/leadership;
- Must have a Ph.D. in hand by August 1, 2016, in a related field to qualify for graduate instruction/leadership; and
- Experience teaching at the university level.
- Doctoral degrees in humanities or education;
- Experience teaching students with international educational backgrounds and/or TESOL (teaching English to speakers of other languages) coursework in their own academic background; and
- Candidates with knowledge of/experience with preparing graduate students in the STEM-H (science, technology, engineering, mathematics and health care) and business fields are encouraged to apply.
Employment is contingent upon providing the university, prior to the first day of employment, official documentation of degrees earned. International degree holders are responsible for providing a certified third-party translation and evaluation of their academic transcripts.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number F064Az at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, a list of three professional references with contact information, and an unofficial copy of transcripts for M.S. (Other Doc) and Ph.D. program (Other Doc 2).
George Mason University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer encouraging diversity.