The Research Technologist 1 conducts tests and procedures; sets up and operates equipment; records observations and measurements and collects and compiles data in a research lab; requires a practical understanding of a limited number of standard scientific techniques.
- Follows pre-defined protocols, policies, procedure, regulations, Good Laboratory Practices and conducts standard and repetitive experiments and completes basic trouble-shooting techniques.
- Sets-up, operates and maintains standard lab equipment.
- Using an entry level of skill, completes the following activities:
- DNA, RNA, Protein isolation, purification and expression
- Plasmid preparation
- Cloning, mapping and sequencing of DNA
- Make laboratory solutions and plates
- Wash and sterilize glassware
- Completes standard and routine clerical duties such as copying, filing, data entry, word processing, etc.
- Maintains inventory of reagents and lab supplies
- Performs other duties as assigned.
HS diploma or equivalent and some basic science courses is required.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Demonstrated ability to carry out laboratory experiments and to follow detailed instructions as required by research protocol. Demonstrated reliability and responsibility to perform job duties.
- Attention to detail and accurate record keeping in notebooks and databases
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in biology; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Strong organizational skills.
- Eagerness and ability to learn new techniques.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability and eagerness to work on independent projects.
- Ability to design experiments under the supervision of the P.I. or fellows.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Date Posted: 5/4/2016