- Ability to understand and follow instructions, take direction, read and interpret recipes, and understand symbols of weight and measure.
- One year experience as a Food Service Worker and/or experience in and demonstrated ability to assist in all areas of basic food preparation and/or extensive experience in some areas with a working knowledge of all others.
- Neat and clean appearance.
- Ability to perform required tasks with speed and efficiency.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift supplies or equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to tolerate extreme heat and cold.
- Basic mechanical ability to operate assigned equipment correctly and safely.
As a member of the production team and with direct supervision, assists cooks in preparation and service of the daily cafeteria and/or catered function menus, using established procedures and standardized recipes. Observes highest standards of sanitation, safety and quality assurance.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
1. Formulating simple standardized recipes, with supervision, while adhering to food safety standards related to preparation, holding and service.
2. Observing maximum safety precautions in performance of tasks, especially those, which relate to wet floors; cutting, slicing and chopping equipment; steamers, hot ovens and gas stoves; and hot food and pans.
3. Correctly disassembling, cleaning and sanitizing all kitchen equipment while maintaining an uncluttered and sanitary work area.
4. Performing basic equipment maintenance such as oiling, sharpening, etc. and reporting any malfunction or repair needs to supervisor.
5. Practicing proper food handling techniques as instructed to reduce/prevent any incidence of food-borne illness.
6. Observing all established policies, procedures and regulations of the kitchen, the department, and the University.
7. Improving skills by learning and demonstrating the tasks and responsibilities of a Cook.
8. Practicing teamwork by being cooperative with peers and being sensitive and respectful of other's feelings and beliefs.
9. Maintaining a neat, well-groomed professional appearance.
10. Performing other tasks as requested.
Recruiting Start Date:2016-03-02-08:00
Job Posting Title:Cook's Helper
Grade:Dining Services Union Rates
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.